DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Help Please! Slate on Wall

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 01:47 AM  
george28

Default Help Please! Slate on Wall

Hello, I have a 15 foot wall that bears over the fireplace. My wife and I are going to replace the old tile around fireplace with slate. We've considered placing slate all the way up to the ceiling. Is this feasible,safe? My next question is whether slate can be adhere to drywall that has already been textured and painted? The stack has flat paint on it already. Can I just put mastic on the painted wall? Any input will be useful. BTW I am new to this forum and this is my first post so hello to everyone! Thanks.
Ive attached the pic of fireplace and 15 foot wall stack.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2007, 12:25 PM  
Mary Jo

Default Do it right the first time...

Sorry, but tile needs a cement base. Take it all down to the studs and put up Durarock or Hardibacker first (could go over...but why...might find they went over brick underneath already!). If your cement board is secured to your studs, the slate should be fine (my brother did this in his rec. room -- no problems and it's been six years). The Tile Guy gave me great advice when I asked for a shortcut...don't...and now I know I won't have to think about my kitchen floor again!!

Old 07-07-2007, 06:24 PM  
MattCoops

You CAN install tile over drywall.
TCA (Tile Council of America) approves of installation of wall tile over gypsum board.
You don't necessarily HAVE to use a backerboard system.

I would NOT use a mastic or pre-mix, but rather a modified thinset.

You are going to get technical for the top row over that arched niche over the fireplace. Gravity is a mother on wall applications.

Good luck on your project.

Matt
Cupan Custom Tile and Paint
Charlotte, NC
[URL="http://www.cupantileandpaint.com"]tile contractor[/URL]

Quick Reply