DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > How should I put up this ceiling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 04:49 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 119 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Default Yup

They can share a wall as long as there are no holes or door leading into each other, and sheetrock on both sides of the wall....whew.
That is because of carbon monoxide getting into the room, and for fire reasons.
Sounds like you have it covered, just remember the detectors and you'll sleep better.
If you are getting this inspected, ask your folks what they want, no suprises that way.
And when you go to sell, a guy like me will point it out on an inspection...and know that no-one pulled a permit.

Just My
Made in the

Last edited by inspectorD; 08-02-2008 at 04:52 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2008, 09:09 PM  
leroyme

So, what all is entailed in pulling a permit? Why is it needed, if it won't actually be a bedroom? If I need one, I need one. That's fine. One more question, I have never framed off a door. I have framed a recessed hole in a wall, and that was pretty easy. Is there anything I should keep in mind when framing in a door? I should attach a 2x4 to one stud, then the other, one across the top of them, supporting the cut frame rail, right? Thanks in advance!
Matt

Old 08-28-2008, 06:35 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 119 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Default permits

It is good to get a permit so the local inspector can get richer....no wait, so you can be safe.
They will check your electrical outlets you install, and heat scources to the room. And make sure anything I mentioned was done to a good standard.
Building inspectors are there to help, and keep us safe. Most folks get the horor stories of bad inspectors and don't tell anyone about what they are doing. Bad move, if there is a problem and someone gets hurt or dies, the blame all comes down on you. And your insurance may not cover you if your house burns to the ground.
Those are the extremes, but that part never makes the newspaper. Being a home inspector myself, I see the bad stuff that happens. That is also one reason I'm here, to head those issues off, and help folks avoid the nasty issues that arise.
That's my rant on inspections, be safe.

I put up a link for framing in another section , check it out.
http://books.google.com/books?id=E5S9qrSNxx0C&pg=PA204&lpg=PA204&dq=warm+r oof&source=web&ots=yQP2bMH_fS&sig=SyHaGBd636wPMqSR MrF4rTTGiMA&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct= result#PPA201,M1

Just My
Made in the

Last edited by inspectorD; 08-28-2008 at 06:45 AM.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:19 PM  
cbeagle

have u ever watched the shows on tv that are on hgtv where they redo rooms in a house? well i watched one where they had a living room like ur basement.. they boxed in the duct work and put drywall up everywhere else, and as for the furnace u could box that in as well with enough room around it to be able to get to it and add a door on it... its a great space to make a media room! good luck

Old 03-21-2011, 10:55 AM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

By the way that hot water heater was installed wrong. It was suppost to be sitting up on a steel stand to get it up and away from drafts, away from the concrete so the bottom does not rust out and up away from any flamable fumes near the floor. It was also suppost to be sittig in a pan so if it ever leaks the water goes to a drain not on the floor.
Your also going to have to use 5/8 fire rated sheetrock on any walls or ceiling and there's going to have to be a louved door or at least a vent in the door where the heating system and water heater are for make up air.

Quick Reply