DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Identify this substance

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 07:34 PM  
Basbousa

Likes Given: 4

Default Identify this substance

I've recently become the proud owner of a 1938 home which needs quite a bit of work. I am hoping to do most of it myself.

I recently looked under the thin carpet that covers the entry way... and this is what I found. I eventually want to tile the entry way, but I have no idea what this stuff is, if I need to remove it before tiling or just go over it. Although it is cracked, the pieces seem to be glued down, and I wasn't able to remove them.

So, what do you think this is?

floor.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2014, 08:12 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 802 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

Vinyl flooring cr, 1970. By the look of the wear the sub floor may need some help, you may be able to tile over as long as it is stuck down good. If you are thinking about taking it up, check out this site, some of this stuff had asbestos in it.
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/removing-old-vinyl-flooring-techniques-26745.html

Old 02-06-2014, 11:59 PM  
Basbousa

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I love the vinyl flooring and I'm keeping it. It's in the kitchen. The stuff under the carpet is the entry way, which borders the kitchen. The carpet is barely adhered to that bumpy, cracked... whatever it is.... and it stops where the kitchen starts. That's what I want to know about. A friend who saw the same photo as I posted here says it's probably tile mud, but I think it's too thick to be old mud.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:52 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Your friend might be right, usually you would be able to see the marks of a v notch trowel or the marking on the back of the tile.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:06 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 322 Times on 256 Posts
Likes Given: 106

It looks like floor leveling compound.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:50 AM  
Basbousa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
It looks like floor leveling compound.
Oh my. I have been thinking about using self leveling concrete in the bathroom... I'll bet you're right. The previous owner did a lot of work himself, and unfortunately, not all of it was done correctly and will end up costing me more.

Hmm. Can I tile over this? What about peel and stick vinyl? Or should I do the real stuff? Does it matter?

Old 02-07-2014, 10:01 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

If it is a concrete type product and isn't cracked, to me it says the sub is in good shape for tiling on. Peel and stick would want a smooth base.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:29 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 322 Times on 256 Posts
Likes Given: 106

When you get the carpet up see what it looks like. Broom and vacuum it good and if it’s mostly stuck down good get anything loose out and get a bag of the leveling compound and fix the few bad spots. The peel and sticks are pretty DIY friendly and as Neil pointed out you need a smooth flat surface for best results. If you plan on doing tile I think you then want to look at what you have much closer and there are a few flooring experts here that will offer advice and will want to see some pictures of the whole floor first under the carpet. Floors like laminate and these peel and sticks etc. are more of an easy first timer DIY project and can look nice and last a long time if used carefully. Full tile is a couple steps up IMO and you don’t want to take a chance with not having a proper base.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:18 PM  
Basbousa

Default Updated photos

Alright, so I started at the other end (the front door) and peeled back the carpet... and this is what I found.

You can also see that by the door, there's a water pipe coming in, and it's barely covered by whatever flooring/self leveling compound they used. When I had the house inspected, the inspector said I should tile over it to protect it somewhat from the elements. There is no difference in height from the front door thresh hold, so if there was a water issue outside, it's gonna come right in.

So, black "tile" or mold? It felt drafty and colder when I pulled up the carpet. And what's your opinion on how to handle the pipe? I have forced hot water for heat.

sam_0484.jpg   sam_0487.jpg   sam_0485.jpg   sam_0482.jpg   sam_0488.jpg  

Old 02-09-2014, 09:18 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Is this a wood floor over a crawlspace or basement or is this a concrete slab?

Quick Reply