DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Identify this substance

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 05:48 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 96 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Default ok

That there is a concrete floor with some Mastic glue for the old linoleum square tiles. No mold from what I can see of the picture, Looks like you need to get this stuff up before you do any tile work.
I see the holes in the concrete from the carpet tack strips they nailed down.
just my opinion, but that floor is going to be cold with tile on it, my guess is that was why they went with carpeting to get a warmer feel on cold days.

This thread from the Journal of light construction for professionals only should help to explain.

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/showthread.php?50988-Removing-black-asphalt-tar-like-floor-adhesive-off-concrete-effectively

Good luck

Just My
Made in the

Basbousa Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 06:41 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 269 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 96

I think you have to decide on what type of flooring you will want and also how big of a project you are willing to get into. The pipe running so close to the top of the floor is quite odd and tends to cry out Previous owner DIY project. That and how the pipes jump up and over the wall framing. Before you bury all that piping in a new expensive floor make sure it is all done correctly as now is the time to do it if it isn’t.

Those black tiles, how hard do they come up with a scrapper type tool? I’m also curious as to Neil’s question.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:33 PM  
Basbousa

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Is this a wood floor over a crawlspace or basement or is this a concrete slab?
This part of the house is over a concrete slab. The rest of the house is basement.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:54 PM  
Basbousa

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
That there is a concrete floor with some Mastic glue for the old linoleum square tiles. No mold from what I can see of the picture, Looks like you need to get this stuff up before you do any tile work.
I see the holes in the concrete from the carpet tack strips they nailed down.
just my opinion, but that floor is going to be cold with tile on it, my guess is that was why they went with carpeting to get a warmer feel on cold days.

This thread from the Journal of light construction for professionals only should help to explain.

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/showthread.php?50988-Removing-black-asphalt-tar-like-floor-adhesive-off-concrete-effectively

Good luck
That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the link, that was helpful to read. Can you explain why I have to remove the black adhesive/mastic? Will nothing stick to it? I was thinking peel and stick vinyl for this area since it's just the entry way.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:58 PM  
Basbousa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I think you have to decide on what type of flooring you will want and also how big of a project you are willing to get into. The pipe running so close to the top of the floor is quite odd and tends to cry out Previous owner DIY project. That and how the pipes jump up and over the wall framing. Before you bury all that piping in a new expensive floor make sure it is all done correctly as now is the time to do it if it isn’t.

Those black tiles, how hard do they come up with a scrapper type tool? I’m also curious as to Neil’s question.
Yep the previous owner was definitely a DIY'er, but I think he kind of did what he thought was best rather than consult pros or more experienced people like yourselves.

Any suggestions for how to deal with the pipe?

Old 02-10-2014, 04:17 PM  
nealtw

Liked 684 Times on 612 Posts
Likes Given: 1209

The best way to deal with the pipe is to put it back into the wall which would include some digging up concrete. Starting another thread in plumbing or heating might bring better info. on the size of that job.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:06 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 96 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basbousa View Post
That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the link, that was helpful to read. Can you explain why I have to remove the black adhesive/mastic? Will nothing stick to it? I was thinking peel and stick vinyl for this area since it's just the entry way.
Well... it may not stick to that mastic... and It may... only trying a piece will let you know for sure.
Having done this before, I would do what the other pro's have done in the post I gave you, one even had a link. Go with as much removed as possible, and install some self leveling compound. (Per Chuck)

As for the pipe. leave it. Build a new foot rack, seat or a coat cubby. Get creative behind the door, your not putting a furniture there anyway.

If this was easy, everyone would be doin it.
11035802.jpg   hall-tree-scetch.jpg  

Just My
Made in the

nealtw Likes This 
Old 02-11-2014, 08:57 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 269 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 96

As to the pipe if its working and not leaking just leave it alone and do as posted above or just set a plant in front of it. If there is any apparent problem with it my point was now would be the time to fix it. Some people would hate seeing a pipe sticking out like that and others it wouldn’t bother in the least others might look for a way to hide it.
As to the floor if you want to do a peel n stick floor or something thin enough to not cause a problem with the door, just patch up the bad spots and clean what’s there real good and put it right over. There are floating floors that look like tile also . You could do new carpet over what is there. If you want a real tile job my guess is you will want to take up the tile that’s there and work off the base floor after prepping it.

Tell us what kind of floor you want and then the right people will hopefully respond.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:41 PM  
Basbousa

My main concern about the exposed pipe wasn't necessarily cosmetic, but whether it would be vulnerable in any way. If it's only a cosmetic issue, I'm fine with the plant stuck in front

Here is the tile I think I've decided on. I also have a few peel and stick tiles that I bought as samples for another room, and I could try to see if they will adhere to the floor as a test.

I've torn off the commercial vinyl "baseboard" and found some dead termites glued to the inside. While I have it all open, should I spray something to prevent them from returning? I know termite extermination should be professionally done, but I'm hoping these are the remnants of a previous extermination. The digger we deep, the more we find...

Old 02-19-2014, 07:52 PM  
nealtw

Liked 684 Times on 612 Posts
Likes Given: 1209

I like the stone tiles!! The pipe will be fine as long as no one takes a hammer to it.. It may get very hot when the heat is on. If you could lay your hands on some of the metal that covers the rest of the heat system you could Hide it with out much effort.

Quick Reply