DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Leveling Floors

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 01:07 PM  
rookiepb

Default Leveling Floors

Hi

I just bought an old house build in the 40's. It is a Pier and Beam. The floors are unlevel. An inspector told me I could just use a 1 x 2" around the outside of the room, then use 3/8" plywood, shims if necessary, with some carpet pad to fill the void space and prevent creaks.......Is this a fessible way to correct the problem or should I try and level it from underneath. This will be rental property, but want it to be nice. The floors are wood now but like like miniture rolling hills. I would like to fix the problem as inexpensive as possible...thanks

Rookie

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 03:11 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Rookie:
It sounds like the inspector is talking about a cover-up rather than a remedy. I would want to level the floor from underneath, adding beams and/or joists as necessary. Procede with caution though; we don't want you to get trapped under there.
Glenn

Old 08-08-2008, 12:22 AM  
triple D

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default pictures

There worth a thousand words, and you will get at least that many around here. Get to know the place a little better, maybe go in the crawl and describe what you see to us. Where are the beams and posts? And how do these relate to the floor joists? And how to the valleys or high spots in floor above? This info is a starting point, and will get you a great deal of response, good luck.....

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]See my work-Check out my album. "Git 'Er Done":D [/FONT][/COLOR]

Quick Reply