DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > my flooring dilema

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 05:36 PM  
squeek

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default my flooring dilema

ok so this is my dining room floor. as you can see in the corner im pulling up the subflooring. The original plan was to just laminte wood floor over it. the sub flooring was uneven so i took a peek under it and saw that it was actual wood (see the dark color) so we decided to start pulling it up and use original and save our money for other projects. as you can also see that it looks like there was a wall that they took out, or there they widened the house. but the wood is different on the other side (wider and going different direction). so we are really at a loss on what to do now. The lighter side (with the bigger planks) is also on the side with the stairs and window. It is also noticable that cold air from under the house is coming up though there. I can get more pics if that helps

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2014, 06:02 PM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 101 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Do you like the look of both types of wood? If you do then the old wall space can filled with something that will look suitable and then you can refinish the whole thing.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:59 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 332 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 110

You will never know until you rip up everything that’s covering the old floors. Sometimes you find perfect old wood floors that just need sanding and finishing and other times you find damage and patched in repairs and then you are faced with doing a proper repair before refinishing or covering it all up again and putting new on top. You can get clues if it’s a first floor and you can go to the basement and see the bottom side of what’s above.

There is nothing like restoring the original floors IMO if they are not in too bad of shape. That is if what you are going for is period correct renovation. It was pretty common in the 50’s and 60’s for people that grew up in these old homes to view them as old and needing brought up to date and the trend was to modernize. The trend now is to restore them back. I just ripped up a bunch of stuff to revel old dirty floors that turned out to be chestnut and sanded and finished beautifully.

You can mill something up to make the transition between floors and I personally think it would look nice.

Keep us posted.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:42 AM  
samfloor
Carpet Installer

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
You will never know until you rip up everything that’s covering the old floors. Sometimes you find perfect old wood floors that just need sanding and finishing and other times you find damage and patched in repairs and then you are faced with doing a proper repair before refinishing or covering it all up again and putting new on top. You can get clues if it’s a first floor and you can go to the basement and see the bottom side of what’s above.

There is nothing like restoring the original floors IMO if they are not in too bad of shape. That is if what you are going for is period correct renovation. It was pretty common in the 50’s and 60’s for people that grew up in these old homes to view them as old and needing brought up to date and the trend was to modernize. The trend now is to restore them back. I just ripped up a bunch of stuff to revel old dirty floors that turned out to be chestnut and sanded and finished beautifully.

You can mill something up to make the transition between floors and I personally think it would look nice.

Keep us posted.
I agree. Not hard to put a contrasting wood as a transition.

[url]http://www.flooringforum.com/forum/[/url]

(AKA Floorist, Rusty Baker)

Quick Reply