DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > opinions needed OSB vs Plywood subfloor

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 03:41 AM  
Dan K

Default opinions needed OSB vs Plywood subfloor

I am building an addition and wondered about opinions of using OSB Tongue and Groove or Plywood Tongue and Groove. Any benefits or problems with either ?
Plywood is 50% more in cost.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 04:16 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd go with plywood. OSB is just like all the other processed woods; if it gets wet it swells up and loses all it's rigidity, just like a good quality breakfast cereal.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:21 PM  
GBR

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I second that, especially in a bathroom: http://www.rci-online.org/interface/2003-06-haughton-murphy.pdf
Be safe, Gary

Old 10-17-2009, 11:37 AM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

In fact, in a bathroom, I'd use pressure treated plywood as your underlayment, and paint the cut edges with end cut preservative.

You should also know the difference between "plywood" and "underlayment" that looks just like plywood. The difference is that plywood is allowed to have voids of a certain size or larger in the interior plies. In underlayment, these voids have to be smaller than a certain size or filled with water putty. Otherwise, the underlayment can have "soft spots" in it that can result in depressions in the flooring.

The two best underlayments I know of are fir plywood underlayment or Baltic Birch furniture grade plywood. The latter is surprisingly inexpensive cuz it comes from Russia, and the ruble is cheap compared to the US dollar, even now. If I were building a house or addition, I'd use the baltic birch plywood as underlayment cuz it's made from a hardwood, so it's both strong and, more importantly, hard. I install vinyl composition floor tiles in all the apartments in my building, and having a hard and strong underlayment means that the tiles won't dent when you put something heavy on the floor. So, any kind of resilient flooring, like VCT tiles, sheet vinyl or even real linoleum is going to stand up better with a hard and strong backing as can be provided by the birch.

Fir plywood underlayment would be the second choice. I don't think Baltic Birch comes in an underlayment, only a plywood, but I'd still use it as underlayment.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 10-17-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Quick Reply