DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Plaster Veneer...how to add sand and apply?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2007, 09:14 AM  
Quattro
Massive Tool Belt

Default Plaster Veneer...how to add sand and apply?

I have drywall walls with a plaster veneer. I can see two layers of plaster. There is a thick grey coating on the drywall, then a slightly thinner layer of white plaster on top of that. The white layer has a significant amount of sand mixed in...and the walls are therefore textured. I removed the soffits in my kitchen, so I had to re-drywall. Now, I need to bring the level of the new drywall up to the existing walls, which means going over them with plaster.

What sand do I need, and how much do I mix in with the plaster? How do I apply it? The final finish should be as close as possible to the original work. I can take a photo or two tonight if that will help!

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2007, 05:15 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hey Quattro:
I'm sure you realize you will not get a perfect match. Rather than learning to become a plasterer, how about furring the drywall out, finishing it and painting it with white sand mixed in your paint? You will have to experiment with the amount but I have confidence in you.
Glennn

Old 05-22-2007, 07:17 AM  
Quattro
Massive Tool Belt

Hey Glenn,

thanks for the vote of confidence!

I may end up doing that...but the drywall is already up (and taped and mudded). So I had planned on making up the difference with plaster. For the small holes in the walls (old outlets, etc), I have been using drywall and compound...and will follow up with primer mixed with sand.

It's just these larger areas where the soffits were removed. I'd say about 60% of those areas will be covered by new cabinets, but there's plenty that will still be visible.

I'll try a paint specialty store to see what they can offer. HD doesn't seem to have what I'm looking for.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:41 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

I don't know how much you need to add to make it flush but, you know, drywall also comes in 3/8". Maybe another layer?
Glenn

Old 05-29-2007, 08:54 AM  
Quattro
Massive Tool Belt

Nice idea, but I only need about 1/8". I'll do my best with a thick layer of "premixed" patching plaster, then come back with some aggregate/sand and try to mimic the texture.

Quick Reply