DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Pulling up vinyl tile and luan

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 01:15 PM  
swindmill

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Pulling up vinyl tile and luan

The kitchen and bathrooms in my house have vinyl tile with luan underlayment. I have pulled it up in the upstairs bathroom, when I gutted the entire upstairs. The luan is glued and nailed to OSB subfloor, and the tile is glued to the luan. It was a complete nightmare, even in a small bathroom, but I had to do it in order to install ceramic tile. Needless to say, it left the OSB a bit chopped up.

I am about to put down glue down cork tile in the downstairs bathroom (much bigger), and I'm wondering if I have to go through that again. Would the cork tile adhesive bond properly to the vinyl tile, or would it result in a sub par job? I am a believer in doing things right, but if I can avoid pulling that up, I intend on doing so.

I hate to ask a question about cutting corners, but I'd like to know if this would cause me problems, aside from the floor being ~1/4" higher. I am putting in a new tub, so I can address any height problem where the floor hits the tub.

Last edited by swindmill; 08-14-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 05:11 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 815 Times on 728 Posts
Likes Given: 1407

Do you really want to chance it?

Old 08-15-2012, 10:44 AM  
swindmill

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If there's a chance it won't work, I'd rather not. However, if someone has done something like this before with no issues, I might. My third option may be to put down a 1/4" underlayment over the vinyl, but at that point, I'm afraid I'd be building the floor up a bit too much.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:21 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 815 Times on 728 Posts
Likes Given: 1407

You would have to glue and screw it down and the next guy will love you for it.

Quick Reply