DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Removing glued down hardwood from concrete slab

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 03:09 PM  
infidex

Default Removing glued down hardwood from concrete slab

Hello,
Currently trying to remove 30 year old hardwood flooring that is glued to the concrete slab, but finding it to be a pain in to get up. Got a couple pieces with prybar and hammer, then rented a big demolition hammer with a 6 inch scrapper blade (got up about 200 sq. foot before my body decided it had enough for the day).

Any suggestions or is a big demo hammer with scrapper the best way? I've done some googling, and see people pouring hot boiling water on it and letting it sit for 3 days to help release the glue. I am guessing this glue is a polyurethane adhesive, it's kind of a pinkish color. The slab looks like they applied a sealer to it before the glue, so I don't think the glue was one of these all in one deals. The part that I do have up, still has most of the glue on the floor, so figure that will be problem number 2 to deal with but have some ideas on how to handle that.

Any suggestions, what has worked for you guys and gals in the past?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2013, 06:58 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 801 Times on 714 Posts
Likes Given: 1361

If all else fails use a jack hammer. http://www.gappower.com/Floor-Scraper-Walk-Behind-w-30LB-Jack-Hammer/item/FLOSE30.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:08 PM  
guyod

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

That still looks like to much work. I like this ride on model http://www.gappower.com/Floor-Scraper-Rental-Ride-On-All-Day-Battery/item/FLOSBRO

If you want something more practical or cheaper try directing a torpedo heater on the area your working. Heat may soften up the glue.

Last edited by guyod; 09-23-2013 at 08:11 PM.
nealtw Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply