DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Removing Old Flooring in Half Bath

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 06:41 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 73 Times on 65 Posts

Do you have a real good reason for installing ceramic tile on the floor? We have occasion to use our bathrooms while barefoot, and I would think if you do the same, you'll find ceramic tile to be quite cold-feeling on the bottoms of your feet.

A few months ago I refloored our half bath. It had a very old, glued linoleum that was a devil to tear off, similar to yours. Came up in bits and pieces. Bought a remnant of "flexifloor" vinyl at Jerry's Home Improvement, big enough for the half bath and the rear entry hall, for $70. Used Duroc (water putty) to level out the dips and doodles, let it set a day, then scuffed (sanded) the lumps off and put down the vinyl. Neat stuff, no glue needed, just held down by the floor moldings along the walls, and the toilet, of course. Looks great, feels warm and seems to wear like iron, although time will tell.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 08:08 AM  
sullijos

I understand these concerns but as I will be using thin-set in addition to securing the hardibacker with cement screws I don't think sticking should be an issue. I was under the impression that the mortar under the cement board acted more as a leveler than anything else. The porcelain tiles should stick to the mortar on the cement board just fine.

As far as the latest response goes, I do like the look and feel of porcelain, even in the winter. I grew up with wood floors so I am used to cold floors in the winter.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:51 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 746 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

What ever you do with this floor, you can be sure we are all hoping it works out for you. Good luck and lets us know how everything works out.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:37 PM  
samfloor
Carpet Installer

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

do you have the right floor joints and subfloor for tile?

[url]http://www.flooringforum.com/forum/[/url]

(AKA Floorist, Rusty Baker)

Quick Reply