DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Repairing cat urine damage- carpet pad & subfloor- advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 04:50 PM  
beelzebubba

Default Repairing cat urine damage- carpet pad & subfloor- advice?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to clean up/repair cat urine damage on a carpeted floor. I have already pulled up the carpet and removed the urine-soaked pad from the affected area. The subfloor underneath the pad is saturated in some areas and still wet. I plan to paint over the subflooring with KILZ oil-based interior primer/sealant to contain the odor. But I'm wondering if I should somehow "clean" the subfloor prior to applyling KILZ? Or should I just continue to wait for it to dry out and then paint it? I'm also planning to replace the tack strips rather than painting them.

Once I have the subfloor sealed, I plan to install new padding and (hopefully) re-use the original carpet if I can steam clean the smell out of it. If not, I'll just replace the carpet. Luckily, it's just a 3' x 8' bedroom closet that I'm working with, so I think I can replace the carpet just in the closet and "seam" it at the threshold with the original bedroom carpet....I think.

Any advice or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!

[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=2][B][I][COLOR=Navy]“Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win.”[/COLOR][/I] [/B][/SIZE][/FONT]- [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=2]Stephen King[/SIZE][/FONT]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 05:43 PM  
nealtw

Liked 542 Times on 491 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

http://www.armourdiecutting.com/exstink/how%20to%20get%20rid%20of%20pee%20smell.htm
You might find this helpfull and welcome to the site.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply