DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Resilient vinyl planking in basement

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 10:23 PM  
mozingod

Default Resilient vinyl planking in basement

My basement has always had water leakage along the wall that meets the concrete driveway. That water has caused about half of the vinyl tiles in the 280 sq ft room to popup super easy. We recently had the basement water proofed and we're about to put some flooring down. We've been looking at that Allure vinyl planking at Home Depot. Reviews all seem good, and it'd be a bit cheaper than carpet and (theoretically) last longer.

Problem is, the tiles almost certainly have asbestos, and I had the glue below them bested and it has asbestos. So we have to leave the existing tiles and the glue from the popped up tiles as-is.

I was thinking of using the self-leveling compounds in the place of the popped-out tiles, but I'm not sure how it'll bond to the remaining glue (since it won't be straight concrete we're pouring it on). Does anyone know how it'll hold up? I don't want it to just break apart in a few years.

Another idea was to get super cheap self adhesive vinyl tiles and put those in the missing spots, then put the planking over the whole thing.

Are there any other options? It seems my only options are vinyl planking or carpet. I'd rather not pay for the later in case we do ever get water, but it may be the only option since we can't tear up the existing floor...

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 05:57 AM  
samfloor
Carpet Installer

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you haven't found a lot of complaints about Allure, you have been looking in the wrong places. And most of the failures have been in basements.

[url]http://www.flooringforum.com/forum/[/url]

(AKA Floorist, Rusty Baker)

Old 12-02-2011, 07:15 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 848 Times on 757 Posts
Likes Given: 1465

Laurentian Sales Flooring - Vancouver, BC

I saw a floor a few days ago called drop and done, looked like wood and was about 1/4" thick and you just lay it down. It looked great but I know nothing else about it.

Quick Reply