DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Resurfacing Concrete Floor & acid stain floor

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 04:28 AM  
yesitsconcrete

1st off, you won't find anything at apron stores that pro's use let alone anyone w/even BASIC knowledge of what you're trying to get done INCLUDING the paint dept,,, takes too much time & the mkt's too small for decent sales/profits compared to any other dept in the store,,, most dec conc suppliers have training class attendance as a basic rqmt but not all,,, i have seen const supply houses where suitable mtls can be found.

yes, the mastic's gotta go & how you do it is the devil's details,,, that vibrating oscillating blade only gets good stuff while the remainder's gotta be done w/grinders & diamond turbo cup wheels,,, we prefer 12seg for the initial grind & 24seg for the remainder,,, after grinding & adjusting the conc's ph, its not unusual to apply 2, or even 3, base coats { most can be integrally colored, btw ),,, the most often heard complaint is ' ghosting ' of the lines 'tween the tiles UP into the flooring overlay,,, another method to prevent this is an epoxy layer loaded w/dry, CLEAN sand aggregate to rejection.

there are liquid strippers ( beaneedoo, etc ) but they leave stains which must be covered so that's a wash imn-s-hfo,,, on occasion, i'll use a propane weedburner torch & ice scraper but the finishing step's always grinders - sorry, charlie

latex in a cementitious dec conc overlay ? ? ? not in my lifetime - latex-modified mtls're much different than polymer-modified in results/method/intent/design/scope,,, for the most part, latex is anathema to the dec conc craft altho my bride & i have some discreet pieces

look at concretenetwork, elitecrete, decorative concrete forums, concrete locator, etc for more info,,, you may find a new vocation, btw

good luck - feel free to send me an e

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2008, 07:53 AM  
drizzle

Default Concete Acid Staining

Also have a look at DCsurfaces products. You can Google their website address. Their overlay is pretty easy to use, can patch the divots, and produces great results when acid stained. Once you knock off the high spots of mastic and the floor is smooth, but the glue/mastic is still in the pores of the concrete you can use this overlay.

The previous poster is correct, your not going to find good help from a big box store. They just don't have the products or experience for a specialty flooring like acid stain.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:00 AM  
yesitsconcrete

as this is our work, we don't fool w/spirits-scrapers as it takes too long,,, we do use hand grinders fitted w/dust shrouds which you can rent at an apron store.

sher-wms will sell you tints that you can add to solvent sealers,,, drizzle's shilling imn-sohfo.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:54 PM  
drizzle

nope, just offering help and advice like everyone else here.

Quick Reply