Chances are way high that they do have asbestos. The thing is are you going to pay the arm and leg fee to remove? The trick is to cover everything with plastic. Dont touch anywhere on ceiling without getting it very wet. Give it a few minutes soak time before scraping. Work only small areas at a time. And catch all scrappings in a bucket or bag. Remember as soon as the removed material becomes dry it is again hazardous. You can get asbestos filter cartriges for about ten bucks for a standard respirator. When you are done you can mix your scrappings with paint, must be latex, not oil, usually the box store has a few gallons of mis mixed paint for a cheap price. You can mix and bag your stuff, then dispose of in standard trash or dump. This will ensure that harm will not come to anyone later from this waste, for it is locked in paint. Good luck... and remember this is just an opinion!