(Here is the situation. We had a carpet removal in our upstairs hall and stairway subsequent to a new installation. After the old wall to wall carpet was removed in the hall we found that the hardwood floors underneath were in really nice condition. Thus, we modified our original intention to full carpet the stairway and the hall with the decision to use a runner in the hallway instead made of the same carpet as to be installed on the stairs. My husband had indicated he was concerned about a squeak in the floor outside two of the bedroom doors (adjacent) and we had asked that the issue be addressed. We knew that the "Fix" would require putting in some wood screws in an attempt to reach the floor joists. My husband suggested to the installer that he countersink the screws so that a plug could be inserted and stained to maintain to some degree - the look of the floor. I told the installer that if he could not accomplish the "Fix" after installing a few screws that he should not continue further. Imagine my surprise when I came upstairs and saw that he had put in 19 black screws. In addition to the large number of screws, they were not countersunk. This in approximately 2 sq feet of flooring. Apparently, he seemed to think that since the area would be covered by the runner - that would be okay. I said nothing but was certainly disappointed at the look of the floor. While I knew that it would be covered, I felt that it marred the appearance of this really nice hardwood floor. (I know it will not be seen but subsquent owners will certainly see it.) My question (after this long post) is - is this the proper way to accomplish a "squeak fix". BTW, the squeak is still there.
Thank you for your input. Note the photos I have attached.