DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Stair Treads and risers

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 10:43 AM  
banffan

Default Stair Treads and risers

My flooring installer's price for the stairs seems ridiculously high to me: he orders in the stair treads from another supplier, I believe. The product will be better than the DY kits from home depot, but not worth what he's charging (I'll end up with a $5000 staircase if I go with him, however this does include sanding down and staining-to-match the banister and a few other pieces of wood). My plan is to paint the light oak banister, and build and install the floor treads myself. The risers will be easy: they will be painted ivory so its just a matter of picking out the wood, cutting, painting, and installing them.

I need advice on the treads. My first thought was, using the hardwood flooring strips, build each tread and install it as a unit. However, why wouldn't I just install the individual pieces, fit together tongue in groove, with the last piece bullnosed as it is the front of the tread. This seems too easy, so there must be more too it. Is there? Where might I encounter difficulty?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 12:55 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 730 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 1275

I would shop around for pre-made treads but your idea would or should work fine.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:02 AM  
budspop

Quote:
Originally Posted by banffan
My flooring installer's price for the stairs seems ridiculously high to me: he orders in the stair treads from another supplier, I believe. The product will be better than the DY kits from home depot, but not worth what he's charging (I'll end up with a $5000 staircase if I go with him, however this does include sanding down and staining-to-match the banister and a few other pieces of wood). My plan is to paint the light oak banister, and build and install the floor treads myself. The risers will be easy: they will be painted ivory so its just a matter of picking out the wood, cutting, painting, and installing them.

I need advice on the treads. My first thought was, using the hardwood flooring strips, build each tread and install it as a unit. However, why wouldn't I just install the individual pieces, fit together tongue in groove, with the last piece bullnosed as it is the front of the tread. This seems too easy, so there must be more too it. Is there? Where might I encounter difficulty?

I just finished redoing our stairs. I bought the treads from HD and sawed off bullnose. I then used my router and round over bit to get a nice rounded edge with a slight moulded bottom. Since I just laid cherry wood floors, I took a plank to Sherwin Williams and they matched it with a stain. Stairway came out beautiful. The best part was my total cost was under $200. I'd be happy to email you some pix if you like. Just let me know. Good Luck!

Old 02-26-2012, 09:06 AM  
samfloor
Carpet Installer

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by banffan View Post

Your idea should be fine.

[url]http://www.flooringforum.com/forum/[/url]

(AKA Floorist, Rusty Baker)

Old 02-28-2012, 07:09 PM  
Paul52

Default Pictures...

I would really like to see the pictures of your finished product. Please email me some if you don't mind: odriscoll@brandonu.ca
Why did y ou saw off the bullnose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by budspop View Post
I just finished redoing our stairs. I bought the treads from HD and sawed off bullnose. I then used my router and round over bit to get a nice rounded edge with a slight moulded bottom. Since I just laid cherry wood floors, I took a plank to Sherwin Williams and they matched it with a stain. Stairway came out beautiful. The best part was my total cost was under $200. I'd be happy to email you some pix if you like. Just let me know. Good Luck!

Old 04-19-2012, 07:43 PM  
H-D

Just bought a place at the beach & going to rip up carpet on the stairs. I'd like to see pics as well. hscalf@yahoo.com

Old 04-23-2012, 03:06 PM  
msdb

Agree with the others that the option you came up with should work.

[SIZE="1"][URL="http://www.mainstreetdesignbuild.com/"]Birmingham Home Remodeling[/URL][/SIZE]

Quick Reply