DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Stairway dilema...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2008, 08:25 PM  
hondadrv24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Stairway dilema...

I keep looking at my stairs as I go down to work on finishing the basement, and am concerned that it is going to be very difficult to move things down into the basement with the current arrangement that they are in.

I am worried that once I put the banister up it will be impossible to bring anything other than a sectional couch and inflatable furniture/beds down and around the corner.

My dad was over this weekend helping with the ceiling and we discussed things we could do with the stairs, the best idea we have had is to make some stairs wider toward the bottom of the main stairs, moving the landing out farther into the room and easing the transition to the basement.

The second best idea is to totally rip out the stairs, and the closet above them, tear out the wall upstairs and put the stairs in going the other direction, which would eliminate the problem with getting things down but be a ton more work with trying to patch in where the wall used to be on the ceiling, etc. any ideas welcome because I see this being a big problem down the road.
Thanks in advance Justin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2008, 08:59 PM  
woodchuck

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Removable banister?

Old 07-20-2008, 09:46 PM  
hondadrv24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

did a little more measuring and figured out that flipping the stairs won't solve the clearance problem because I would just be hitting the ibeam instead. I'm thinking about the removable bannister, probably my best bet.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:56 AM  
willneu

My first thought too, probably cheapest option too! - I would say the last beam does seem to be in the way a bit though, even if you did have a removable banister, no way of moving it left a bit?

Quick Reply