DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Sub-floor termite damage in 1885 home

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 01:19 PM  
Pendleton Heights

Default Sub-floor termite damage in 1885 home

I have spent a considerable amount of time investigating old termite damage to our living room floor above and to damage to the subfloor below, viewed from our basement. The previous owner repaired most of the damage to both, and put in a new floor joist, and I have finished repairing the tongue and groove pieces he didn't get to in the living and dining rooms. Unfortunately, about 10 separate subfloor pieces looked fine, but upon close inspection, are incredibly soft and rotted out. Over the past two weeks, I have tore out all 10-11 pieces of the subfloor. My question: Do I simply put in new wood (maybe 2" x 4"s) where the old ones were, and run them from joist-to-joist and support them with additional wood pieces along the joists? (It appears the previous owner did this in one spot. Why he didn't finish the job, I'll never know.) Sorry for the length of the question; I just wanted to be clear. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2009, 09:06 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Pendleton:
As long as the joists are still sturdy, yes, you could block in and replace the subfloor.
Glenn

Old 04-17-2009, 06:37 PM  
HouseSurgeon

Make sure the threat of termites doesn't exist anymore. I repaired an oak floor for a past client with termite damage and a couple months later I was back repairing it again. Termites ate through fresh oak flooring.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:18 AM  
Tom Witcomb

Yes as the other posters have said ..Check for active termites, and treat ..and use wood blocking to support the sub floor.I always use pressure treated lumber in infested areas of the home

Subterranean termites can move fast thru softer untreated wood.

Subs will never completely go away ...you have to poison the earth around and under your home ...and maybe they will go to your neighbors yard.

Tags
subfloor, termite damage

Quick Reply