DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > To Subfloor or not that is the question

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 08:58 AM  
kowgrl

Default Tile and Lamiate on a slab question

Currently I am in the pending process of purchasing my first home. All the floors need to be replaced. The home is an A-frame on a slab with no subfloor. We are planning on doing laminate wood in the living room and den and either a tile or laminate tile in the kitchen and bath.

I have been searching the Internet for advice on re-flooring. Many of the laminate’s mention that they can go directly onto concrete, how true is that? Also the house is in New England so we do have many climate changes. Would the laminate bow and change shape with the climate changes? What do you recommend for both laminate and tile? Do you put it right on the concrete or create a subfloor? Also do you recommend a specific type of flooring for a home on a slab?

Thank you in advance for you knowldge!

Last edited by kowgrl; 09-17-2008 at 10:48 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 04:55 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Kowgrl:
I would lay the laminate and other products on the concrete as long as the insturctions are OK with that. Putting in a subfloor would be a MAJOR undertaking requiring trreated lumber, a good fastening system and druable subfloor; its just too much money and trouble.
Glenn

Old 07-20-2008, 11:48 AM  
HomeAdditionPlus
HomeAdditionPlus

If the manufacturer states you can lay the laminate directly on the concrete floor then by all means do so. However, if your basement has a history of moisture problems you may want to first put down a subfloor.

Usually the temperature in the basement remains fairly constant throughout the year. It is the moisture levels that change. A dehumidifier may be helpful in extending the life of your new laminate flooring.

If your basement has a history of water problems, fix this problem first before installing the laminate flooring.

[U]Mark[/U]
[URL="http://www.homeadditionplus.com"]HomeAdditionPlus.com[/URL]

Old 09-17-2008, 10:47 AM  
kowgrl

Ok next question. I am currently in the process of peeling two layers of vinyl flooring off both the kitchen and bathroom. What a miserable project. I have done more research on laying tile and laminate on to a slab. What happens if I can’t get all the vinyl off or all the glue off? If that happens should I use a self leveler?

PS: it’s not a basement it’s our first floor. Slab on grade.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:26 PM  
hondadrv24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

go to your local tool rental store and see if they have a laminate flooring remover. my local store has one that you ride one and it will get all of the glue off.
Justin

Old 09-17-2008, 10:10 PM  
triple D

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default welcome kowgrl

I cant say what adhesive they used, but there is a better than 50% chance it will come off with hard mopping, with hot water, and small amount of soap. You can take a wide chissel or scrapper and a hammer to hit the end of it to remove stubbourn peices. Just remember gloves and goggles. And if the water doesnt work let us know we'll figure out somethin fer ya. Good luck.....

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]See my work-Check out my album. "Git 'Er Done":D [/FONT][/COLOR]

Quick Reply