DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Termite wood floor as sub-floor

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 01:54 PM  
gtimk4

Default Termite wood floor as sub-floor

Hi! I just brought a 60 years old house which I want to put a new floating bamboo floor. The house has old 9x9 parquet hardwood floor glue over concrete slab sub floor.

Since my budget is limited, I'm try to float the new bamboo over the old wood flooring without removing the old floor. However, the problem is that the old hardwood floor has termite problem (we did we hire the pest control and kill all the termite already), some of the wood floor feel hollow because the termite ate the inside of the wood plank.

Here is my question:
1) Is it possible to keep my old wood floor as subfloor if there is termite damage? (my house is in concrete slab)
2) If I replace the really hollow with plywood but keeping the solid plank, is it ok?
3) Although there is no termite now, by keeping the old termite damaged wood floor, would it encourage the termite come back?

I know the best way is to remove all the old wood floor and do the new plywood subfloor, but our budget is tight, i buy to see if I can keep the old floor as sub floor as much as possible

Thanks so much

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 12:20 PM  
samfloor
Carpet Installer

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Take up the old floor.

[url]http://www.flooringforum.com/forum/[/url]

(AKA Floorist, Rusty Baker)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply