DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Tile over brick fireplace

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 05:21 PM  
Cody84

Default Tile over brick fireplace

I am getting ready to tile over this brick fireplace. Should I lay the tile on top of the brick or should I take the brick out? I am worried it may block my ventilation if I tile over the brick. Also, for the edges of the fireplace, I bought a tile that has a bull nose but the woman of the house does not like it because it only comes in smaller pieces. Should I just place the tiles as close together as I can and fill the gaps in with grout or maybe try mittering the tiles? I don't want to have sharp edges though. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

photo.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 12:05 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 840 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

If you remove the brick you will have no kind of surface for tiling. If you tile the inside edge of the fire box, you may have trouble with your insert, you don't want to lock it in. There is a varity of metal corners including round shapes and many colours.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:20 AM  
Cody84

How should I go about tileing over the brick without locking the insert in?

Old 04-20-2012, 05:43 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 840 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Perhaps you could get a sheet metal shop to bend up something in black metal that could be screwed to the bricks so it could be removed. Or maybe the insert could be move out so the face tile could slip behind it a little.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:54 PM  
tilemandan

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You can also float out the mortar joints with thin set, then screw backer board to the brick and start tiling! No big deal, you will still need some sort of trim , either bullnose or Schluter

Quick Reply