DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Tongue and grove floor buckling up

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 08:53 AM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For any new form of flooring to go down all that old flooring needs to go first.
There will be no pushing it back down and having it stay there.
My guess would be moisture is coming up through the slap and cause all your trouble. If you add another layer over what you have it's just going to rise more, because your holding in the moisture.
If you try and just sand out the cupping without finding out what the cause is and fixing it, it's just going to keep cupping and lifting.
Lots of slab homes where built with the slab to low and the rising water table when you get heavy rains can and does come right up through the slab.
The home needs gutters, and a french drain if it's to low.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 09:18 AM  
isola96

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
For any new form of flooring to go down all that old flooring needs to go first.
There will be no pushing it back down and having it stay there.
My guess would be moisture is coming up through the slap and cause all your trouble. If you add another layer over what you have it's just going to rise more, because your holding in the moisture.
If you try and just sand out the cupping without finding out what the cause is and fixing it, it's just going to keep cupping and lifting.
Lots of slab homes where built with the slab to low and the rising water table when you get heavy rains can and does come right up through the slab.
The home needs gutters, and a french drain if it's to low.
I don't think he mentioned house being on a slab?
1st he needs to pull up any section by the base trim see what sub floor he has if there is any under layment.
We also don't know if there is any registers in the floor to take off and check.

Sent from my iPhone iOS5

Old 11-03-2011, 12:33 PM  
joecaption

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstew96 View Post
My floor is forming mountain ridges in places, as tho its being squeezed, its on probably a concrete slab, Im thinking if I could get something heavy (an asphalt roller) would be great to flatten it out or worse case a vibration sander to even it out and then re-finish it. Any easier ideas?
First line in the post includes "they think it's on a slab"

Old 11-03-2011, 03:23 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 756 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 1310

Didn,t NY just have a big storm? This might be a moisture from below problem.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:36 PM  
joecaption

Sanding, pounding running a roller across it, trying to cover it up is going to do nothing to fix this. These's moisture coming up from below causing it and needs to be addressed.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:23 AM  
pstew96

As the weather gets colder, the flooring is getting worse, the edges near the walls are tight, do you guys think that if I take up the edged peices and cut them to create better expansion it might settle the problem? The last thing I want to do is to takeup the entire floor....

Old 11-14-2011, 07:29 AM  
isola96

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstew96
As the weather gets colder, the flooring is getting worse, the edges near the walls are tight, do you guys think that if I take up the edged peices and cut them to create better expansion it might settle the problem? The last thing I want to do is to takeup the entire floor....
I would take up all your base trim any peaces that are to close to wall cut them by using a toe kick saw I'm shore you can rent one if the blade is to low you can put 2x4 or piece of pine under the saw so you don't cut into the slab.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:10 AM  
joecaption

A Toe kick saw is the only saw that can get that close to the wall, rent one at Home Depot and try it, your also going to need an Ossalating saw to cut the pieces closest to the corners, but I'd bet the only thing that's going to fix it is to remove it.
If the floor was glued down or just glued in the T&G the bond is broken and there will be nothing holding down the flooring.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:37 AM  
pstew96

The water was allowded to sit for loong periods which I suspect caused the worse damage, I expect to rent maybe a Toe kick and put that gap in at the very least. The last thing I want to do it uplift the entire three rooms of flooring. Also, looking thruogh where a closet door I cannot see anything under the 3/4 flooring like a vapor barrior.

Quick Reply