DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Flooring (
-   -   Transistion problem (

Jungle 06-17-2013 11:44 AM

Transistion problem
1 Attachment(s)
How to finish this? I guess i have to cut another piece of cork or it will look strange. It should got right up to the door or under it?

btw, do you think i should change the door? it's for the bathroom, i was thinking a French door actually, it's very small and has no natural light.

CallMeVilla 06-17-2013 12:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Judging by the color/finish of your door jamb, I would use a wood transition that spans the gap. Stain it to match. You can trim the door stop to fit the transition completely under the door. Use the same technique you would use for trimming jambs when you install tile. You can cut a strip of cork ... but it would have been better to have notched the cork when you laid it so the piece would be continuous. Oh well. :(

Here is a pic which gives you the idea, even though it is not the exact match to your situation.

nealtw 06-17-2013 12:40 PM

I think by french door you're saying open out. Usually only have the door open out when it is hard to get around the door inside the bathroom. An outswing door can create other problems not least of which is bumping other people when opening the door from inside. If the fan isn't run long enough and the door is usually closed, the bathroom has less of a chance to dry out.

samfloor 06-18-2013 11:02 PM

Actually, "callmevilla" the one you show is wrong. The transition should be under the door, so that when the door is closed, you can't see the flooring on the other side.

Jungle 06-19-2013 10:17 AM

French door means with a door with glass panels.

I'm going to cut into another piece of corks, so it just goes under the door then start some piece of metal for the transition.

CallMeVilla 06-19-2013 04:38 PM

Thanks for the input Sam. I suspect what you mean is they did NOT carry the tile under the door stop. Instead, they used a wood filler strip as part of the transition.

The OP's problem is how to transition cork to tile or marble (? -- see his pic above). I think a cork strip would fill up to the door stop and a wood transition could fill under the door and to the jamb on the other side.

Do you agree?

samfloor 06-20-2013 07:16 AM

The transition should be directly under the closed door, so that with the door closed, you cannot see what flooring is in the other room. It would have been better to have cut the cork to fit right the first time, but other than taking it up, putting in pieces is the only option that I can see.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:14 AM.