DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Warped floor joists, floor leveling

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 01:30 PM  
Jungle

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Ya it's working already, with a couple of twists i've taken out the nasty dips in the floor. I will puts some bricks around the base and secure the top when it's levelled. Keep in mind it's a new construction just a retrofit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 10:47 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 814 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1407

http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f17/preparing-footing-surface-steel-column-12468/

Old 07-15-2013, 08:17 AM  
Jungle

The basement flooring here is much better than the guys crawl space i think about 12" thick of concrete. The wood beams will remember and get straight again then i can sister it up, so not so much weight in the end.

What's you solution Neil? Build a concrete wall under the beams when it is jacked up? I guess i'll do that if the floor cracks, but i don't think it will, you can see the support already bent and the concrete floor didn't crack. Sounds like lots of work too.

Last edited by Jungle; 07-15-2013 at 08:23 AM.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:38 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

If you are just straightening the floor you should be fine even with a normal floor which would be 3 1/2 inches thick. If your floor is that thick you don't have to worry about anything. I am worried about a post kicking out sideways and killing some one. I thought you said you were lifting a barring wall above.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:25 AM  
Jungle

Here you can see the foot of the staircase/ where the book is bellow the joist crack last year and i already sistered it and jacked it with a 2x6. Now is replace with the steel jacks. So a lot of pressure on that point as you can see what is above. same with the other side.

a1.jpg   a2.jpg   a3.jpg  

Old 07-16-2013, 11:27 AM  
Jungle

Here's the bearing wall, that has not sunk and that side of the flooring is actually flat! As i mention before that 1" oak pillar is suspicious. i think i should put another jack under it?

b1.jpg   b2.jpg  

Old 07-16-2013, 07:52 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

I am having trouble figuring out what is above what. With out knowing how the floor joist were run for the attic space and how that is supported.
I might have it mixed up. It looks like you have lifted the post that goes right to the roof? That woud be the one carrying the most weight.
In new construction, there would have been a post al the way down to a footing below the floor, the same would be true for the two posts on the outer end of the landing.
Both walls that run beside the staircase going up from the landing either should have bearing walls or beams in the basement or some extensive framing in the attic floor but there would be aleast a post in the basement below the corner to your left as you go up stairs from the landing.
This all guess work and isn't worth much, I really think you should get an engineer to look things over and give you a plan.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:14 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Who did you buy your house from?
http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f108/finishing-any-ideas-14903/
http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f32/structure-support-14863/

Last edited by nealtw; 07-16-2013 at 08:16 PM.
GBR Likes This 
Old 07-17-2013, 04:36 AM  
Jungle

I'm under the impression that cord wood houses have better structure because they are 'free standing.'
Glad here aren't earth quakes here like in BC.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:57 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 332 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 110

You have quite an interesting house there. I never heard of a cordwood house before and I had to google it to find out what it was. So your house is made of chunks of cut wood like firewood and stacked and mortared together. I’m not sure where the “free standing” part comes in?

I’m with Neal it’s really hard to figure out what is above and below what from the photos. I’m sure it’s quite clear to you as you are involved in the project but for others trying to help from the pictures it’s easy to get confused.

Just curious in most of the basement photos there is white paint on the structure here and there, is the paint highlighting problem areas or what is it about?

In a cordwood house and your first two photos show a foundation wall. I’m assuming all the wood pieces are built up starting at the top of the foundation. Where do the beams and joists sit? Is it built like a brick house where the brick sits on the outer half of the foundation and the inner half is for the wood structure? So the cordwood is just a facing. Do you have stud walls supporting the second floor or does the cordwood hold up the second floor?

Quick Reply