DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Wood Floor Color?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 09:54 PM  
rwalker28

Default Wood Floor Color?

Maybe this is not a good question for this forum, this forum seems more "how to do stuff" not "what stuff to do," but what the heck, the stupidest questions are the ones you don't ask, right? Our house was built in 1952. All the baseboards, doors to rooms and closets and mouldings are stained. Not really dark, but not light either. The house is a 1500 sq ft ranch style, so it is not big. The question I have is will it look weird if I put in lighter colored wood floors than the doors and mouldings are stained? I don't want to put in dark floors. Where can I get ideas about this? Thanks in advance, bob walker, phx az.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2009, 11:31 PM  
ciera

Sure. Actually, it could look nice. You should get a light enough color that you get some contrast with the trim, and they should be in the same tones (if the trim has a red tint, put in floors with a slight red tint).

Old 01-05-2009, 07:52 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken

Liked 82 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default I agree

Contrasting colors are what makes a room pop. Do as suggested and it should look good. Everyones taste is different for sure, only you need to like it.

Just My
Made in the

Old 01-05-2009, 09:10 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciera View Post
Sure. Actually, it could look nice. You should get a light enough color that you get some contrast with the trim, and they should be in the same tones (if the trim has a red tint, put in floors with a slight red tint).
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
Contrasting colors are what makes a room pop. Do as suggested and it should look good. Everyones taste is different for sure, only you need to like it.
Can't think of a single thing to add that has not been above mentioned.

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 02-18-2009, 07:18 AM  
jdougn

Depending upon what type of flooring, flooring centers will have samples of most flooring. Get a handful that look "right" and put each one beside your trim Then if possible, get larger samples of the ones you like best and make a final selection. The large sample size is recommended because colors will be represented acurately on the large sample size. Keep in mind what Ciera said about colors and your floor will be beautiful!
hth, Doug

Quick Reply