DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decks & Patios > Building A Pergola

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 11:22 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 732 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/canada/rcps.html
Simpson strong tie has (hdg) in the model number. hot dipped galvinized

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 12:57 PM  
notmrjohn
Obnoxious Knowitalll

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The bracing for your roof does not have to be as heavy as Villa's, those brace a floor. Your building an awning. 1x4"s or 6" will do.

Here's brace on my awning. Inside are 2 1X6's lagged to post, lag screws almost all way through post. They go up inside box beam , bolted to triple 2X6's inside.

The covering is 1/4" veneer resawn from old weathered fence panels.

Bring your concrete footings a few inches above ground level to prevent water from pooling and rotting ends of post. Even with PT post and raised brackets.

img_3604.jpg  

[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Measure twice, cut once.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Look at the nail, not the hammer. Watch the fence, not the blade.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]If you hook your thumb over your belt you won't hit it with the hammer or leave it layin on the saw table.[/FONT][/CENTER]

Last edited by notmrjohn; 10-04-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:05 PM  
AeR0

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

well guys i must admit my build is coming along very good, ive got 2 family friends that are carpentry tradesman that are helping me out.

i have a few questions though

1st picture:

the bracing in between the 2x8s i thought were a bit close... personally i thought they should of been about 2 feet from the bottom and 2 feet from the top.. i asked them about this and they said no that this way is the same as doing it the way i thought?

my 2nd issue i have is we removed all the soffit vents and they built it in like you see in the pic, my argument with this is that it now reduces air flow from the attic. again i could be wrong these guys have the trade not me.

hope to get some answers !

thanks again guys!

Old 10-23-2012, 08:05 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Bidging or blocking is required for joists are more the seven ft between where the are attached. One in the middle would have done it. At the top the blocking on the flat appear to block the venting for the roof on the house, I don't understand that.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 PM  
AeR0

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

nealtw-

im a bit confused are you saying that the bracing for those joists are correct or incorrect? they are 14 ft long 2x8s

and as for the blocking the venting to the roof, i agree im a bit confused ... i wasnt ready to say anything bc i dont have a better idea till i get someone to give me some advice on how it should be! lol.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:34 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

These are rafters not joist so blocking was not required. The soffet vents should not be blocked and I can't figure out what they thought they need to put those blocks there for.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:40 AM  
notmrjohn
Obnoxious Knowitalll

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The blocking wasn't needed, but does keep rafters spaced.
Remove the blocking at soffet. Not only do you need attic ventilation, it will prevent hot air pocket under new cover.

What is roof decking? What is roof covering?

Are you going to insulate under roof? Will there be a ceiling? Answers to those two relate to blocking, which may interfere or facillitate installation of insulation, ceiling.

[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Measure twice, cut once.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Look at the nail, not the hammer. Watch the fence, not the blade.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]If you hook your thumb over your belt you won't hit it with the hammer or leave it layin on the saw table.[/FONT][/CENTER]

Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 349 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Blocking works for me. Have seen a lot of twisted rafters on patio covers that could have been prevented. Are you planning on lighting or fans? The blocking could be useful for that purpose but I sense the carpenters were not considering that next step -- they just tossed in the blocks "because."

I share everybody's concerns about the lost venting . . . can't figure what they were thinking.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:13 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

More often now we see people finnish this with soffet which needs strapping, doing away with any need of blocking.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:42 PM  
AeR0

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmrjohn View Post
The blocking wasn't needed, but does keep rafters spaced.
Remove the blocking at soffet. Not only do you need attic ventilation, it will prevent hot air pocket under new cover.

What is roof decking? What is roof covering?

Are you going to insulate under roof? Will there be a ceiling? Answers to those two relate to blocking, which may interfere or facillitate installation of insulation, ceiling.
well i won the argument and we cut out the blocking at the soffet vents, now since i picked the argument i have to come up with a solution on how to replace.

so im asking you guys for some help!

the roof has 1/2" ply on top we weathersheild the whole roof and shingled it.

Quick Reply