This is what I have come up. Very basic steps to proper maintaing your deck.
1. Sweep it like its your kitchen. 1-2 days a week is fine
2. Scrub Your Deck 1-2 times a year. 3-4 if you have more time.
3. If you do have a rotting deck board, it's best to try to chisel it out with a wood chisel and hammer.
4. Remove mildew immediately. It turns REAL ugly if not. (Shouldn't have a problem if you used a water sealer.)
5. Both water sealers and stains should be applied a minimum of every two years. If you live in an area that has severe weather conditions, you may need to apply more frequently. You can use a large brush for application.
This is what I do. Hope it helps!