DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decks & Patios > Cedar Deck clear finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2011, 01:31 PM  
boxelder

Default Cedar Deck clear finish

Hi, I'm new to this forum and was wondering if someone has advice on the best products to use to seal a cedar deck. I'm building a cedar deck in Scotland and am having trouble sourcing a suitable product. Ideally I would want a treatment which would be transparent, something to bring out the natural beauty of the wood.
Many thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 06:32 AM  
Patiosclotures

Deck cleaning is an annual task for many. Deck sanding and cleaning happens to those people who choose to use wood-damaging pressure washers. Cedar deck cleaning and sealing is now easy with oxygen bleach and a special epoxy sealer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 08:48 AM  
aron searle

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Clear finish = yearly maintenance.

Cedar is naturally durable, so can be left to weather and turn grey, but this isn't to everyone's taste. But this will only require the odd stiff broom brush clean and wash to remove dirt.

You can buy decking oils, they will last 6-18 months, but give a very nice look.

Clear water repellent finishes may last 12-18 months, but are not as decorative, they do however (drum roll) repel water very nicely, which is good in wet n windy Scotland.

translucent stains will (excluding erosion from foot traffic) last several years, but it is the pigmentation that gives them their durability, and so they will change the appearance depending on the level of pigmentation.

I would be very very careful with any clear product with UV inhibitors that claims to last x years, I have seen so many of them exaggerate their life, and then whenever they fail, it's always because you haven't applied it properly etc. If you use any of these products, check the guarantee offered, and follow the instructions to the letter.

Quick Reply