DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decks & Patios > Flashing ledger board- brick

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 07:05 AM  
tcampbe

Default Flashing ledger board- brick

My project continues and as I was tearing off the old deck, I discovered there was no flashing installed on the ledger board. What are my options at this point other than taking down the board or building a free standing deck? The ledger board is bolted through brick. Thank you for the help thus far. Learning a lot and making things the right way!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 AM  
joecaption

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Post a picture, If the whole ledger is againt brick it would not need flashing, it's only when it's attached to the siding area it needs flashing.
I would have shimed it out with vinyl lumber so water does not just lay on top of the ledger, but to late now, a layer of 30 lb. felt or Storm and ice shield would also help to prevent rot.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:37 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts

Pull the old ledger, plug the holes in the brick, and build a free-standing deck. Far better long-term performance.

Quick Reply