DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decks & Patios > Glue only for deck

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 10:54 AM  
WarrenC

Default Glue only for deck

I am building a deck and am going to use cedar 2x4's in a checkerboard pattern. The deck is covered. I came across a post somewhere on the internet where a builder has only used glue to attach his decking, and a few toe nails to keep things in place.

Would glue (a construction adhesive) work without mechanical fasteners? I am from Canada, so I would be subject to freeze/thaw cycles.

What is everyone's opinion?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2009, 11:16 AM  
imported_liza

Check out www.evolution-deck.com, which is made from galvanized steel with granite stone - our house is featured. This cost us about 25% more than a composite deck installed. Regardless of brand, a wood or composite deck requires maintenance, deteriorates, and doesn't last more than 15 years. Evolutiondeck provides a true 30-year warranty, doesn't require maintenance and it adds to the resale value of our home! We saw this as a worthwhile investment. Made in Canada!

Old 10-12-2009, 10:30 AM  
imported_MjM

In your situation, I would vote against 'glue only'. Without mechanical fastening, warping will snap the glue and possibly the wood itself (especially in cold climates).

If you ask me, 'glue only' is a cheapo way of doing it, labor-wise. I would both glue and screw. The glue will help lower wood squeek.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:42 AM  
EdsDecking

Take Ed's Advice: Add decking to a neglected corner of your garden for the best results.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:36 AM  
Patiosclotures

My experience is to use high quality wood glue and epoxy is expensive and difficult to work with although I found it works well for bonding aluminum to wood.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:38 PM  
UpperDecker

Default Awesome

I'm so glad to have found this forum - I know this post is kind of unrelated but it is great to have a place to turn to where someone might already have answered my questions without me asking them!

Old 10-18-2011, 06:45 AM  
woodworks

If you just dont want to be able to see the screws I would go with the Kreg deck jig system to hide the screws. http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...ig-System.aspx

Quick Reply