DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decks & Patios > New deck and overhang question

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 09:13 AM  
sammer4u

Default New deck and overhang question

New to the site and it appears to be a great one! I have a quick question, I am in the process of getting materials for my deck. It will be 24'-0" x 32'-0". I am using 6x6 posts, and 2x10 beams. I planned on using 2x8 joists, but think I will opt for 2x10 for them instead. It is a free standing deck, not attached to the house. My concern is the overhang. I am going to run the beams the 24' direction, and the posts will be spaced at 6'-0". I am only using three posts in the 24' direction. Leaving me with an unsuported end of 6'-0". I will run the 2x10 joists at 16" o.c. I will use a brace onthe ends of the beam to the end posts. Will the overhang be to much or will I be okay with the distance? In the 32' direction I will have a 3'-0" overhang, and am using 5 rows of posts, with 8'-0" between the middle posts.

Does this sound good to go, or should I move the posts in the 24' direction? Allow for a 3'-0" overhang that direction as well, giving me 9'-0" between the middle post?

TIA!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2010, 08:00 PM  
caseysbuilding

I have a proper deck building page on my site that might help you.

View my pictures at [URL="http://www.caseysbuilding.com"]http://www.caseysbuilding.com[/URL]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply