DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decks & Patios > Patio awning

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 08:25 AM  
MD builder

Default Patio awning

When I was doing some research for this project I found very little information so I thought I'd post a few pics and information

We've got a 20*20 foot concrete patio off the back of our house on the way to a small in ground pool (12*24). The patio is quite nice but basically unusable in the summer here without any shade! I was seriously interested in an Alumawood solid roof but due to the snow load here in the mid-Atlantic region the footings needed were substantial and would have required cutting into the patio.

Thought about a Sunsetter retractable deal but they only go out a max of a little over 11 feet. I wound up with the system from ShadeTree - http://www.shadetreecanopies.com . Very happy with the results, the canopy is 16' wide and projects 15', each section is retractable seperately and when retracted it tucks up under the eave. I did some prep work before the tracks and fabric arrived, took about a day and a half to build the wood frame from materials acquired locally and I stripped off the vinyl siding / installed a ledger board and flashed it in. Once the shipment arrived it was about a 5 hour project to erect it with a bit of assistance here and there from my wife.

shade-structure-002.jpg   shade-structure-006.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 08:05 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts

Looks good! Hope it performs well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply