DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decks & Patios > Suggestions on replacing patio's PVC roof panels

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 10:36 AM  
nealtw

Liked 542 Times on 491 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

You may not have the room if you look at the height compared to the house roof. That is why I suggested 1x4.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 12:29 PM  
notmrjohn
Obnoxious Knowitalll

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

At least with opaque you won't see the leaves and stuff on top.
Folks, San Antonio is the fourth hottest city in the country, 111 days each year that temperatures reach 90 degrees or higher, average humidity of 70%. Despite the light, the sun is not your friend there. It is not going to be oppressively dark under there, but shady and inviting.
The strapping is just the strips across the rafters, the spacing and thickness depends on rafter spacing and what the roof is, lighter flimsier stuuf needs closer spacing, thicker wood. My stuff needed 2X4's 2 ft spacing on beams 6 feet apart, no rafters. And no matter how close the strapping, polycarbonate like you have does deteriorate in sun and won't withstand a hail storm. ( We recently had softball sized storm lasting over an hour, luckily missed me by 1/4 mile.)
Except for lifting it into place metal may be easiest to install. The strapping is farther apart. Use rubber washered self tapping hex head screws and impact grade socket in driver. You don't have to worry about cracking the metal or as much about distorting it as with "plastics", though wavy filler strips wouldn't hurt. Wooden fillers that fit galvanized are readily available. Getting them and roofing may be cheaper at Farm and Ranch supply, or Feed Store as we usually say here.

There are fancier, more expensive metal roofs, all kinds of profiles and colors, but unless you go real high end they are not as thick as thinner galvanized, and to me at least, just look cheap.

[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Measure twice, cut once.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Look at the nail, not the hammer. Watch the fence, not the blade.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]If you hook your thumb over your belt you won't hit it with the hammer or leave it layin on the saw table.[/FONT][/CENTER]

Old 10-17-2012, 12:40 PM  
picolin

Likes Given: 1

Interesting... I was just asking my coworkers and they recommended Tractor Supply and a couple of lumber yards. I'll add feed stores to my search for galvanized roofing. Thanks for the pointer!

Old 10-17-2012, 02:06 PM  
CallMeVilla

Liked 271 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I should have included pics of how I did it . . . Here is the structure. Notice the rafters are topped by the 2x2's. This allows for air circulation. Use deck screws to hold the 2x2s then attach the corrugated per normal. Hope this helps . . .

Old 10-17-2012, 02:15 PM  
notmrjohn
Obnoxious Knowitalll

Tractor Supply is a great place its where I got the round posts for my patio cover. But it seems I never remember them untill I get desperate for something. If I had a tractor I might remember better. They have all kinds of heavy galvanized hardware. Various shapes and sizes of stock tanks that are way cheaper than same things from water garden and pond supply stores. Saddle blankets that look like Navajo rugs, cheaper than Chinese navajo rugs. Nifty die cast toy trucks, high detail plastic animals. Kitchen stuff... X-mas gifts for whole family.

I wanted peeled cedar for my poles, I coulda bought them if i didn't wanta eat for a month or two, and no local supply at time. Bought 8'X6" fence posts. Month later neighbor put up smaller cover, peeled logs! But turned out his father in law had a "piece of land." He'd cut um winter B4 and let most of bark weather off.

Heres a pic of the top of post, I dunno why you'd wanta see it, but here it is anyway.

[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Look at the nail, not the hammer. Watch the fence, not the blade.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]If you hook your thumb over your belt you won't hit it with the hammer or leave it layin on the saw table.[/FONT][/CENTER]

Old 10-17-2012, 02:20 PM  
notmrjohn
Obnoxious Knowitalll

I saw Villa's after I posted, he's made a sorta shady pergola with a solid translucent roof. There's an idea. And you can contrast his California sophisticated design with my South-West Rustic.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:35 PM  
CallMeVilla

The 2x2s help reduce sun glare and provide support to prevent panel bowing. Think of this as a hybrid design which gets you shade, sun, support and it is easy to build.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:38 PM  
picolin

Likes Given: 1

Wow, good job on that hybrid roof, it looks nifty!

I found the galvanized panels at McCoys, for $15 a piece. Come next paycheck, that's where I'll get them.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:42 AM  
notmrjohn
Obnoxious Knowitalll

pic, get panels long enough to cover without seams across roof. My panels didn't come that long. Due to shallow pitch and heavy textured surface of panels I get leaf build up causing dams, heavy rains run back under seams and despite multiple recaulkings I still get leaks.Sometimes backups higher than hills of corrugations. I also put full panels on low end so seams are up high, right above where leaves get stuck.

Also start first panel from side where most folks will see roof, or at opposite side from where most light comes from,longitudinal seams cast a shadow. Your rafters may be in places to cover seams.

Here's pic of underside of mine, notice the seam shadows, because first panel layed was on that far, south, side. And crosswise seam where it leaks.

Villa, its hard to see in this lousy snapshot, but blue and red parrot windchime is souvener of San Diego Old Town, They had other tacky stuff too.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:57 AM  
CallMeVilla

Tacky red & blue bird is typical of stuff you can buy in San Diego's Old Town area. Our idea of historic is redwood siding covered with stucco . . .

For the roof - my panels are doubled to get the length I wanted, so they do overlap. The pic just doesn't show it. The ledger at the main roof is where the rafters attach. For this project, I used
12" wide rolled galvy flashing which was slipped under the roof shingles, caulk-sealed the full length and nailed. The flashing overlaps the panels by 6", so roof runoff carries fast and does not back up at the connection point of the panels and the roof shingles.

Your rain might be harder . . . but you have to adjust the fall of the patio roof accordingly.

Hope it works out . . . send finished pics.

Quick Reply