DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Bad block foundation options

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 06:12 AM  
Northeast1973

Default Bad block foundation options

I have 2 story home on an old deteriorating block foundation. It leaks like an open faucet whenn it rains heavy. I understand the process of jacking the house up 6"+ to replace it, and with that face losing my front porch, my deck on the back, and possibly cracking walls and ceilings on first and/or second floors. My question, is it possible to excavate the entire foundation and fill the blocks on the exterior with concrete and patch it? I know I can have walls poured inside the foundation in the basement to structurally support it, as an alternative. But that wont stop the water from coming in and I will eventually lose my basement that way. Just looking for advice options. Any help is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 07:19 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 728 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 1269

Welcome to the site. There are or other options, like jack it up to just to take the weight off the wall and replace the block wall or poor a concrete wall 8" low and finish it with a row of blocks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 12:53 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 348 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 135

You need a two-pahse approach ... repair the damage and stop the water. As Neal properly indicates, you can jack and replace the damaged wall blocks, instead of raising the entire house.

However, you need to excavate the perimeter and get a "French drain" tile system plus a vertical, dimpled plastic water barrier attached to the walls. This will stop and divert water on the outside and prevent further infiltration. Here is an example:
http://www.fairchildcontractors.com/waterproofing

GOOD LUCK!

Quick Reply