DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > bad concrete on pool decking

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 07:35 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 464 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
enough w/explaining to me what i meant to say - that is the exclusive province of my bride, nagzilla
...I married her sister

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 10:05 PM  
ConcreteTreat
Concrete/Basement Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmon13 View Post
we hired a contractor to resurface our pool decking, it looked bad from the start, discolored in several different variations, cracks, etc. they did pour the concrete during a temp. of 25degrees? That was a year ago, since then it has turned into a hideous site. it cracks when you walk on it. attachede are some photos, please give me any information.; from the research ive done, i have come to the conclusion it was a bad batch of "aggregate", but the contractor hasn't agreed to do a thing. what are my options? thank you.
25 degrees, hm? I'm going to assume you mean Fahrenheit. ;-)

What you see there is concrete "spalling" -- and an incredibly bad case of it, at that. It happens like this:

When your concrete slab was poured, the contractor probably "creamed" the surface to give it a professional, polished look. Unfortunately, as the concrete was curing during these freezing conditions, water seeped underneath this delicate 'creamed' surface and froze there. Water expands as it freezes, and it caused the surface to "pop" off, which is what you see there.

I am 99% sure that's what happened here. If it is, then it would definitely be the contractor's fault.

If the contractor won't help you, your next step would probably be the Better Business Bureau, or some similar consumer protection agency. Also, it won't get you any money back, but you could tell your story on review sites like Google's Business listing to help warn other homeowners away from bad contractors.

-----

Gale
Concrete Treat: Concrete Sealer

Old 06-01-2011, 02:42 PM  
BritKnee

I would have called a lawyer if they wont come make this right. That is AWFUL!

Old 06-04-2011, 04:35 PM  
911handyman

We have seen this before the cause is pouring when its too cold. What happens is concrete has water in it when temperatures drop below 32 degrees and freezes thats ok but the concern is when the concrete thaws the water needs room to expand. What happened to your concrete is called top pop. which is where the top pops off due to freezing and thawing of water in the mix. Never pour in cold weather unless you have concrete blankets and some form of heat. After seeing your photos, you should remove all of the concrete and start over. visit Avoid Concrete Mistakes - 911handyman.com | 911handyman.com or Completed Project's - 911handyman.com | 911handyman.com

Old 06-04-2011, 07:43 PM  
itsreallyconc

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

it isn't spalling but it IS a frozen top,,, not sure who supplied the conc but there should have been air in it ( air entrainment ),,, know many of the guys who place & finish conc around augusta/aiken/etc,,, i would suspect whoever did the work never anticipated such low temps & had little experience in handling the threat,,, scarifying the top 1/2" ( or as required ) can be an acceptable repair however you did pay for an acceptable job,,, hopefully you can find someone who will be able to ' persuade ' the contractor to do the right thing !

Quick Reply