DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Basement slab even with footing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 09:32 AM  
MoreCowbell

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Basement slab even with footing?

Hello. I am in the process of converting my crawlspace to a basement. There is a section of foundation footing that is at such a depth that rather than my floor slab being laid on top of the footing and butting up against the bottom of the foundation wall, the slab will be even with the footing (i.e. top of slab even with top of footing).

Is there anything wrong with this approach? The exterior of this section of the foundation wall only has a soil depth of about 18" so I'm not really worried about the wall being pused in due to lack of resistance on the interior.

Thanks.
slab-footing.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 05:23 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 850 Times on 759 Posts
Likes Given: 1466

When you finnish the basement you build a wood wall 1" away from the concrete. When you do yours you could bolt down a 4 1/2" bottom plate tight to the wall. That would replace most of what you are loosing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply