DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Best way to insulate concrete slab

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 05:34 PM  
cibula11

I need to use joists because I will be installing plumbing and need the space for drain pipes to be run. So, yes...I'm talking about joists.

Ideally, I 'd like to run the joists right on the floor and shim in areas where the garage floor slopes down.

If this is the case, you're saying that the best way would be to lay the 6 mm poly and then joists across (with ledger) and then insulation batt or blow in between the joists (which would essentially fall directly onto the plastic)?? Or with joists could I still use the rigid foam underneath the joists?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 06:37 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Default yup

Plastic down, foam board, then joists with the ledger...just like the one Joe Listbureck recommends. And attach, seal, the plastic to the bottom plate if it is PT wood to keep the moisture from the concrete out.
I think your ready, have fun.

Just My
Made in the

Old 01-03-2010, 07:01 PM  
cibula11

I'm back

I was planning on running a ledger on opposite walls to essentially "hang" the flooring. However, one wall is the extension of the home's foundation and the ledger would need to be attached to concrete block. I'm guessing it's hollow block. Is there a way to do this )the floor will need strength since it will have a bathtub)

I suppose I could resort to placing the joists directly on the concrete and shimming, but Id like to get the rigid insulation added on the concrete floor and I'm not sure I could do that with this method.

Last edited by cibula11; 01-03-2010 at 07:18 PM.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:27 PM  
GaTomCat
Building Instructor

be sure to use treated floor joist..

Quick Reply