DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Breaking concrete

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 09:59 AM  
johno20

Default Breaking concrete

Hi,

I am replacing several exterior doors, and a couple of them had concrete sills rather than wooden/aluminum ones set over the framing.

The first one was relatively easy to break up and remove with a hammer and chisel, but the second one entering the basement is proving to be much more difficult to remove, as the concrete they used is very strong. I'm making little progress with hammer and chisel, and have also tried an air chisel with almost no progress at all.

Any suggestions as to what tool may make this easier. I've seen some rentals for electric breakers (one from Bosch). I suspect this is designed for larger jobs, but any advice would be helpful.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 09:44 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 848 Times on 757 Posts
Likes Given: 1463

They come in all sizes from hammer drill to jack hammers. A hammer drill with a chisel should do the job. I have a small Bosch for this kind of work.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:58 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

I have a Harbor Freight hammer drill that works quite well for chipping out concrete, and saw the unit on sale this past week for $50 (think I paid $60 for mine some time ago). It comes with rotary drill bits and chisel points, but does take a lot of grunt to make it work.

If a small chipper isn't going to cut the mustard, I'd consider renting an electric 90-lb. breaker--it will make short work of what you need taken out. Just be very careful about not going too deep, and damaging your foundation's footing.

Quick Reply