DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Brick mortar recs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2008, 05:13 PM  
TaskBoy

Default Brick mortar recs?

I need a fairly fast setting (30-45 minutes or so work time) brick mortar that I can get at HD or Lowe's. I'm hoping the same mortar is hard enough to drill for concrete screws within a couple hours or less. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2008, 07:17 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Sorry TaskBoy:
The mortar will hold the wall up in that short a time but it is too quick for the concrete screws. I think they would strip out with the least pressure.
The theory on holding the bricks is that each brick supports only its weight above.
Glenn

Old 07-05-2008, 11:58 PM  
TaskBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennjanie View Post
Sorry TaskBoy:
The mortar will hold the wall up in that short a time but it is too quick for the concrete screws. I think they would strip out with the least pressure.
The theory on holding the bricks is that each brick supports only its weight above.
Glenn
Sorry Glenn, what I meant is that I'd drill into the bricks, not the mortar itself. It would be to attach Hardibacker. The job site is actually an existing brick wall where I pulled off some top row bricks as they were jutting out. Some broke off flush with the rest of the wall; others came out loose but I wedged them back in. This is basically to solidify the wall a little before I slap Hardi over it. The rest of the 3-foot high wall is very solid.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:28 AM  
TaskBoy

Default The results...

I used Rapidset Mortar Mix. It is scary-fast! It kicked off in about 10 minutes! I says it hardens in 15, full strength in one hour and that is about right. I had to mix very small amounts--like a 1/2 gallon worth, slap it on, wash the bucket and trowel and then mix another. The mortar is made to harden underwater, stirring or trying to wet the mix won't slow it. I had two gallons of it kick off on me when I first started before I figured out to do small batches. Now I have a nice 5-gallon bucket doorstop.

Quick Reply