DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Building addition on slab-footer questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 03:30 PM  
Youngfan75

Default Building addition on slab-footer questions

Hi all,

I currently have an existing screened-in porch resting on a concrete slab. I have dug around the slab in 4 random places. What I have determined is that the slab was actually poured 2 different times, both times using 6"dimensional boards, thus roughly giving me a 10" deep slab on which the current porch sits.

I now would like to build an addition onto my house where the porch stands. I was wondering if I could dig 36" down for footers(I live in Pittsburgh) around the slab, then pour concrete for the foundation around the concrete slab currently in place. I would like to keep the current slab in place for the base floor.

I suppose I will need to pour the foundation instead of using block. What width of pour will I need?

In addition there is a 6" stepdown from the house to the slab. Could I raise the floor by putting down a treated wood frame? This way I can level,vaporbarrier treat and insulate below the subflooring.

As with all questions I would like to go into building inspectors office with some type of plan in my hand, not looking like the town dummy!

Thanks,
Bob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 04:36 PM  
itsreallyconc

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ck w/your local code ossifer i think you might be able to ' pier ' supporting colums & meet their rqmts,,, far's raising the floor, that's what i did in my bsmt - work'd GREAT ! ! !

far's going TO them w/a plan, lettem ' help ' you 1st - they LOVE self-importance &, after all, you ARE paying their salaries !

relax - they already KNOW who's the ' town dummy! '

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
addition, footer, foundation, slab

Quick Reply