DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > can I pour concrete against a framed exterior wall?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 04:40 AM  
Jeri B

Default can I pour concrete against a framed exterior wall?

We want to add a patio by our back dooe but one of the homes exterior walls is 18" lower than the adjacent wall (due to a sunken room in the house). A concrete contractor told us he can remove some siding, apply a concrete board and rubber membrane and pour concrete against it. Is this a good practice? We live in Minnesota with freeze/thaw conditions so the slab can move.

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jeri B

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2008, 01:51 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Jeri B:
Yes, that sounds like a good plan. The only thing I would want to add is butyl rubber caulking in the crack between the house and concrete to keep water out of there and remain flexible during temperature movements.
Glenn

Old 07-19-2008, 03:12 PM  
mudmixer

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I would not do it and you will probably find a lot of good contractors that would not touch it with a 10' pole. Cement board and a "waterproof" sealer and membrane, especially when it comes to the frost movement you can get in your area.

You apparently are not under a code, but if you ever go to sell, any reasonably imtellegent home inspector should spot that. Just because a code is not contolling now, that has nothing doing when you go to sell.

How does a wood frame wall enter into a patio installation? Is the patio above aliving area?

Old 07-22-2008, 09:36 AM  
handyguys

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

I too would be reluctant. Is there any way to change grade and just do steps? If you DID do it I would also make sure you had a slope away from the house. No, I wouldn't do it.

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

Quick Reply