DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Chimney Cap/Damper Options?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 03:52 PM  
o2284200

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Chimney Cap/Damper Options?

My damper is stuck open and I've got no chimney cap. I'm concerned about rain, birds, critters, snakes, etc...getting in my house through my chimney flue & vents. The flue is 13inchx13inch and the other 2 vents are basically a concrete block on it's side being used to vent a convection oven + built-in grill (does not work; planning to demo) in the kitchen.

I'm not finding many with experience on chimneys/fireplaces in this area but one co. I called told me that I could not put a cap on it because the flue and vent openings are flush with the chimney top. Also the chimney top is flat but should be pitched away from openings.

I was told that if I want to put a cap, I have to chip away some of the concrete around the flue & vent openings and add enough additional flue/vent to rise above the chimney top to be able to attach a cap...then I need to build up and pitch the chimney top away from the new higher flue/vents.

Thanks, your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by o2284200; 04-30-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 07:58 PM  
nealtw

Liked 682 Times on 611 Posts
Likes Given: 1203

I don't think your guy is wrong. I think the flue should be above the chimney something like 4" and the top should have a slope on it.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:17 AM  
BridgeMan

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts

Adding a short section of tile flue and concrete crown should be fairly simple to accomplish. As you were told, chip away some of the flush concrete surrounding the flue, then roughen the entire surface to promote good bond with your new concrete. Set a new section of flue tile in place, then pour your crown. Install a new metal cap (with appropriate mesh screening) once the forms are stripped and concrete has cured.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:56 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 269 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Two other options that come to mind are to do something custom depending on the aesthetics of the house. That is a pretty massive chimney by the looks of it and might look funny with a smallish cap. You might take the photo and the dimensions to both a Chimney builder and or a weld shop and see what ideas they might have. I’m picturing an angle iron frame to drop around the whole thing and then a structure above it with a flat top.

Doing a google search gave me a lot to look at so rather than attach a bunch of linke I will attach the photo search path and see if there is anything that you think would look good. There is a lot to be said for building something in the shop and taking it up and putting it on compared to working up on the roof. A full size cap would also protect what you now have.

https://www.google.com/search?q=flat+chimney+cap&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=is ch&sa=X&ei=n2CCUfWKAYrE9gS_tIHYCQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ& biw=1224&bih=1011

Old 05-06-2013, 06:05 PM  
o2284200

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgeMan View Post
Adding a short section of tile flue and concrete crown should be fairly simple to accomplish. As you were told, chip away some of the flush concrete surrounding the flue, then roughen the entire surface to promote good bond with your new concrete. Set a new section of flue tile in place, then pour your crown. Install a new metal cap (with appropriate mesh screening) once the forms are stripped and concrete has cured.
Thanks, I had a chimney guy/mason referred to me and he quoted me $500 to do all you suggested not including a new metal cap & install. How does that sound?

Last edited by o2284200; 05-11-2013 at 06:57 AM.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:06 AM  
o2284200

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Two other options that come to mind are to do something custom depending on the aesthetics of the house. That is a pretty massive chimney by the looks of it and might look funny with a smallish cap. You might take the photo and the dimensions to both a Chimney builder and or a weld shop and see what ideas they might have. I’m picturing an angle iron frame to drop around the whole thing and then a structure above it with a flat top.

Doing a google search gave me a lot to look at so rather than attach a bunch of linke I will attach the photo search path and see if there is anything that you think would look good. There is a lot to be said for building something in the shop and taking it up and putting it on compared to working up on the roof. A full size cap would also protect what you now have.

https://www.google.com/search?q=flat+chimney+cap&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=is ch&sa=X&ei=n2CCUfWKAYrE9gS_tIHYCQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ& biw=1224&bih=1011
Thanks, giving me some great ideas; I want both a damper & cap and I figure copper is the way to go because I'm close to the ocean & my flashing is copper. Looks like if I can find the right one & it's pitched properly, I won't need to add the section of flue and concrete crown.

Last edited by o2284200; 05-07-2013 at 05:10 AM.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:42 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 269 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Yes some of the copper ones look quite attractive. Chances are you are looking for a custom built unit and will need someone to get up there and measure your chimney first and then go up and install it.

Depending on where you live and how much you enjoy designing things you might have a local artist / tin bender around to work with. Start with a heavy base and some good set screws around the base to clamp it on and then go up from there.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:10 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts

Plan on a custom copper cap assembly costing several thousand dollars. And if it's too big and complex, each time the flue needs cleaning will cost you another $300 in labor to remove/replace the thing.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:09 PM  
o2284200

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgeMan View Post
Plan on a custom copper cap assembly costing several thousand dollars. And if it's too big and complex, each time the flue needs cleaning will cost you another $300 in labor to remove/replace the thing.
Ouch! Looks like stainless or aluminum and not custom. lol

FWIW, I don't need custom or copper, I need it to WORK...Seal properly when needed and keep unwanted critters & birds out; spark arrestor, etc. As long as it doesn't look bad, I'm not too concerned about aesthetics. Initially I was thinking something like this:
http://www.fireplaceessentials.com/c173/c95/c264/Chimney-Damper-Lock-Top-II-13-x-13-p1996.html

That $500 the mason quoted me to set a new section of flue tile in place, then pour a crown is sounding pretty good right now.

Last edited by o2284200; 05-08-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:52 AM  
o2284200

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'd also like to re-stucco the chimney to a more smooth finish rather than the brick look. That said, which should be done first...?

A) Adding a short section of tile flue and concrete crown.
B) Re-stucco brick finish to a smoother finish.

Quick Reply