DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Chimney Cap/Damper Options?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 11:46 AM  
nealtw

Liked 541 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 998

Problems do show up on chimneys that need repairs, when stucco is applied these problem show up as a problem with stucco and repairs are made while the chimney continues to fall apart inside.
Google (stucco chimneys floida) and you will find that most people there are looking for repairs. I think you are just buying more trouble.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 04:38 PM  
o2284200

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks, I had the chimney inspected & cleaned by a local chimney sweep with no other issues brought to my attention. He actually thinks the damper may be able to be closed, if I'm patient and really work at it with the WD 40...Pressure & Time.

Working damper changes my options, so we'll see!

Old 05-10-2013, 10:24 PM  
o2284200

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Introducing my new best friend;
PB Penetrating Catalyst.

Sorry I didn't post before pics but but after 2 rounds of WD-40 & wire brush, I found this stuff on sale at HD and ended up using the entire can in several stages today.

I have 3 hinges on my damper & handle; I basically smothered the 2 top hinges on each side especially the middle one, let them soak for a while, then aggressively scraped the hinges with the wire brush, then forcefully tried to pry the damper handle open & closed manually.

..repeated...repeated...
...repeated...repeated...

Let me say, I probably was not forceful enough when I first tried to pry open the damper after the first 2 rounds with the WD-40 but since I had the inspector tell me not to worry about breaking anything, I started all over again...

I smothered the 2 top hinges on each side, let it soak for a while, then hit the hinges with the wire brush then tried to pry the damper handle open & closed.

..repeated...repeated...

That did it; POP!
This Biatch is closed!

So now my options change...
I can go for a chase cover and/or just cap...or am I missing any other options?

Last edited by o2284200; 05-11-2013 at 06:55 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply