DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Compacting patio pavers

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 08:31 AM  
jelconga

Default Compacting patio pavers

Hello, got a question for you all...

Just finished laying abt. 250 sq. ft of pavers. We did compact all layers of the foundation with a plate vibrator. My first course of pavers is butting against the house, with about 3 inches of each paver resting directly on top of the foundation footing, (only about 1/4 in bedding sand between that half of the pavers and the cement footing) which juts out from the house about 3 inches. The other half of that first course is resting on the base sand like the rest of the pavers. We had to lay the first course on the foundation footing like this because of height issues. We compacted the base sand before laying the pavers, then added a little more sand to seat them in. I am a little worried about running a plate compactor over the finished patio. Problem is, we'll have to skip this first course when we run the compactor, bc/ it'll break them right where they cross over the foundation footing, right? However, if we skip that first course, then run the compactor over the rest, will they sink too much and look lower than that first uncompacted course of pavers? Can we just sweep in lots of joint sand and water it to settle the sand and lock in the pavers, or is the compactor totally necessary?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 02:13 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 140 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 189

My totally unprofessional opinion is no, you don't need to compact the pavers. I did my patio a few years ago and it is holding up just fine. I compacted the base thoroughly and then swept sand between the pavers.

Last edited by slownsteady; 07-22-2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: typo

Old 07-22-2010, 03:40 PM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 36

The bad detail is setting portion of the paver patio on the concrete foundation because the long term settlement near a foundation can cause problems.

The setting bed of sand is intended to be not more than 1" because good sand does not really compact.

Dick

Quick Reply