DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > concrete porch is falling down ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 09:34 PM  
baconboy59

Default concrete porch is falling down ??

I noticed my front porch is starting to crack and seperate from the front of my home. Is this a sign that my house has a foundation issue ? Can this be repaired, or do I have to have a new concrete block porch installed.

There are three pillars that run from my roof to the porch, but I am not sure if they are anchored beneath the concrete block or on top of it, causing it to be pushed down farther. . I attatched some pics for your viewing.

dsci0099.jpg   dsci0100.jpg   dsci0101.jpg   dsci0105.jpg   dsci0107.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 05:50 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 119 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Default yup

The concrete is heavy and settling. The culprit is right there too. The raingutter downspout needs to be routed away from the porch area. get it at least 4 feet away with an extention, this will cut down on the settling.
The porch may not have any footings underneath also to carry the load above. If it gets worse, contact a really reputable concrete company or slab lifter. Or an engineer, They can help for recommendations on a permanent fix with pilings or "helical ground screws".

Happens all the time, looks early on as far as being an issue.

Just My
Made in the

Old 05-24-2010, 02:52 PM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm with inspector on this one. A lot of foundation issues can be helped out by proper water draining. Putting it right on the slab, like it's doing now, can cause some pretty crazy fluctuations.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:08 PM  
baconboy59

TxBuilder and InspectorD, Thank you both so much for the advice. I will definatly get an rain gutter downspout extension to have the water routed away from the house.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:01 AM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You might also want to look into a crack sealer of some sort. It's difficult to tell what you would need from those pics alone, but a decent water proof crack filler would definitely help.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:23 AM  
itsreallyconc

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

evidently i'm seeing different pictures as it doesn't look that bad to me,,, hazard a guess that IF the caulk had been installed correctly, it would still be good,,, btw, ' caulk ' isn't the right mtl - you need a ' joint sealant '... sika has a polyurethane avail ( even in colors ) however it needs to be installed over backer rod then tooled for it to work correctly,,, what's the pitch of the slab front to back using a 4' level ? ? ?

Old 05-26-2010, 11:33 PM  
frozenstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBuilder View Post
I'm with inspector on this one. A lot of foundation issues can be helped out by proper water draining. Putting it right on the slab, like it's doing now, can cause some pretty crazy fluctuations.
Totally agree with you on that TxBuilder...

[I]“You can always get someone to love you, even if you have to [B]do it yourself[/B]”[/I]
[I][SIZE="1"][/URL][/SIZE][/I]

Old 05-30-2010, 05:33 AM  
itsreallyconc

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ps - i don't think your front porch IS part of your home,,, it would be VERY unusual to build a supporting wall back from a slab's edge UNLESS there's a thicken'd edge or addl grade beam you can't see,,, slean & seal properly & monitor,,, it could just be the sealant ( caulk ) used has reached its life

Old 05-30-2010, 05:53 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 408 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 131

And another thing to look at is the support posts. Are they still plumb? Are they still anchored tightly to the porch beam above and slab below? Do you see any deflection on the roof slope that those posts are supporting?

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, if the porch has settled you should see evidence in the roof area supported by the columns or they will not be secured at the top.

Tags
concrete, foundation, patio, porch, settlement

Quick Reply