DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Concrete to replace Termite Damage???

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 08:48 AM  
notmrjohn
Obnoxious Knowitalll

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

No palm with mine, which is odd since I got it years ago at a Tandy Leather shop, back when there was one next door to every Radio Shack. No doubt Tandy wanted me to by a chunk of bull hide and make my own. I also got a rotary hole punch back then to make various sizes. They sell as seen on YV now as if it was an amazing new over priced invention. If you order now you can get two, Double your hole out put. Make more sense to include the awl for all. I use the punch more making rubber washers from old inner tubes. Big usable inner tubes have gone the way of the free ice pick.

I don't think termites eat leather, with an awl and punch, we could cover our homes with leather or inner tubes.

Now back to the sill.Since the floor doesn't extend under the walls, it would be a good idea to check caulking and insulation right at floor edge while you're there. And, Fireguy, check for fire blocks in walls just above floor, and end/rim joist/band on ends of floor joists.Older Western or balloon frames are notorious for lack of fire blocks.

[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Measure twice, cut once.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Look at the nail, not the hammer. Watch the fence, not the blade.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]If you hook your thumb over your belt you won't hit it with the hammer or leave it layin on the saw table.[/FONT][/CENTER]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 08:42 AM  
Fireguy5674

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I had weather coming so I had to get the house closed up. I pulled siding and sheating and found the entire length of the 6 x 8 beam had been eaten. I pulled all of it out and replaced the entire 12' section. I first put in a PT 2x8 nailed it to the ends of the floor joists. Thank goodness the bugs didn't like the floor joists. Ate right around them. Then I glued and nailed 7/16 OSB to 2x. Finally I put another PT 2 x 8 glued and nailed on the oustside. This gave me enough width to support the wall studs. Had to trim several studs to get them back on top of the 2x's. The wall had settled about 3/8 to 1/2" and I could not find enough support to get it jacked back up. I will get in the crawl space and put 2 x 8 pieces betweem floor joists later for additional bracing. The floor joist were already sitting on the brick foundation. The termite shield is a good plan but just was not practical in the space and time allowed. I have a low exspansion foam gun which I will use to fill any gaps or cracks left and seal everything up tight. I also have a termite treatment plan and bait stations around the perimeter of the house now. If it weren't for back luck I'd have no luck at all........... Guess I will get out the wire and get busy on the next step.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:58 AM  
Fireguy5674

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Just saw your last post notmrjohn. Had not gotten to second page. Floor and edge of beam are almost exactly even. Good point about fire block. I will get some fire block foam and put some in that area. As for fire blocks in the walls, yeah there are none. This home was built and then rebuilt in sections I believe mostly by the occupants. Every expense was spared. Pun intended. I have drywall off and will put in fire blocks as I go. As a retired firefighter you would think that would be my first priority. Thanks.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:55 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 844 Times on 754 Posts
Likes Given: 1460

It's to bad you couldn't get something between joists and brickwork, You can paint that area with treatment like the treated lumber, you can buy it by the quart.

Quick Reply