DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Concrete type for repair around ABS drain

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 11:39 AM  
toiking

Default Concrete type for repair around ABS drain

Hello everyone!

I have no experience with cement so I come you for your expert advice. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. In order to install/anchor a new toilet flange correctly I plan to pour cement to fill in the space between the drain and the existing concrete. This will also prevent toilet leak from entering below the tile and slab.

1. Since the ABS turn is visible and only partially under concrete, can I pour concrete directly on to of the ABS? Or should I put a layer of gravel in between?

2. For concrete, which type should I use?
Hydraulic water-stop cement? Anchoring cement? Quick-drying?
Anchoring cement would seem to be the best choice to hold down the flange bolts but I'm concerned about its expansion properties putting pressure on the ABS turn.

PICS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 05:39 PM  
CallMeVilla

Liked 324 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 122

First, I prefer to cover the piping with sand, not gravel. Then, I pour concrete aggregate cement on top and tamp it well so the top surface has enough "butter" to get a smooth top surface. Your ABS toilet sweep should be deep enough to allow for a collar where the cement can anchor it.

DO NOT use hydraulic cement for fill. It is NOT recommended by the manufacturer. If yuo must use it iat all, you may fill most of the space with aggregate cement then use hydraulic cement for the last 1/2" (MAX)

Old 08-17-2012, 06:47 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 63 Times on 58 Posts

At the present time, my favorite toilet-setting material is Quikrete 5000. It sets reasonably fast, is stronger than the dickens, sticks to almosts anything (including ABS), and is cheap--a $5 bag will be more than enough. The only thing I've found that's just slightly better is Quikrete Rapid Road Repair, and it costs twice as much if you can find it.

Quick Reply