DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Converting Concrete porch floor to stone floor

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 02:21 PM  
jomommaj

Default Converting Concrete porch floor to stone floor

I presently have a concrete front porch that was "sealed" with a rubberized sealant about 8 years ago. Last year I acid washed it, roughed it up and tried to paint over it with sand mixed into the porch style paint. It started chipping by the end of the summer. I would like to build a irregular stone floor on top of it to give the house a cottage like look. It is about 12 X 6 and covered with a roof. What type of stone, how thick, what type of base, how do I prepare the existing foundation etc for a project like this? Or am I crazy and should sub it out?
Thanks ahead of time!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2009, 09:03 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome JoMommaj:
You may want to use a side-grinder with a wire brush head to rough up the sealant and clean some of it away.
If you are near any coal mining operations, you should be able to find sand rock in 1" layers called 'flag-stone'. Or, possibly some thin pieces of limestone. Either one should be placed in mortar mix which is available from Sackreet or Quickreet already mixed, just add water. You could use the same mix to fill the spaces between the stones.
Glenn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply