DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Crack in basement wall

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 07:57 PM  
Frank0

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Crack in basement wall

I noticed there was moisture in a bedroom closet in the basement and the sheet rock was damp. After removing the sheet rock, and cutting out a section of wood in the center, the picture shows what I found. There was water staining starting from just below where we cut out the section of wood.

Can someone give me an idea of what I need to do here?

Thanks!

20140216_194306.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 09:17 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 748 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 1306

Patching and waterproofing is best done from the outside. For now, make sure water is directed away from the house.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:19 PM  
Frank0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Patching and waterproofing is best done from the outside. For now, make sure water is directed away from the house.
What type of patch is best? Does it matter if I patch the inside now and the outside in a week? Is this a typical basement issue or should I be concerned it may worsen? House is about 33 years old.

Thanks!

Old 02-16-2014, 10:41 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

With out knowing anything for sure, I would bet that the house settled a little some time ago and the crack is not new. If that is right then you have had more water around the house than usuall.
Or it is not draining down to the perimeter drain and that's why I suggested to start with a good look at the outside.
I think the best patch would be on the outside, clean out the crack and chip som away so you are working with clean concrete and fill it with hydrolic cement and cover the whole area with tar type concrete waterproofing and then a dimped plastic sheeting that would extend down to the perimeter drain.
There are products that you can put on the inside but the water can still get into the concrete and moisture will wick thru the concrete anyway, so fixing the outside is best and giving the water a path is insurance.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:58 PM  
Frank0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
With out knowing anything for sure, I would bet that the house settled a little some time ago and the crack is not new. If that is right then you have had more water around the house than usuall.
Or it is not draining down to the perimeter drain and that's why I suggested to start with a good look at the outside.
I think the best patch would be on the outside, clean out the crack and chip som away so you are working with clean concrete and fill it with hydrolic cement and cover the whole area with tar type concrete waterproofing and then a dimped plastic sheeting that would extend down to the perimeter drain.
There are products that you can put on the inside but the water can still get into the concrete and moisture will wick thru the concrete anyway, so fixing the outside is best and giving the water a path is insurance.
I guess I will be doing some digging next weekend.

Thanks Neal

Old 02-17-2014, 12:11 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 378 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Be sure to check for any underground utility service before you start to dig Frank.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:16 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 297 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Has anyone done the injection repair from the inside with epoxy?

I have seen it done on TV and read about it I would think I would try that before I dig. The OP’s cracked wall looks text book for this system of repair. They set a number of ports into the crack about a foot apart and then cover the crack on the inside with epoxy then inject epoxy into the lowest port until it comes out the one above and proceed up the wall. On a poured wall it seems like it could work ok.

Like I said I have never done it so maybe the pros have and found it doesn’t work.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:47 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

A friend used the injection because his leak was down 12 ft with a concrete dect and front porch over the outside. The water found a new path twice and by the time the water stopped they had done 35ft of of a 16ft high wall. Three trips with a specialest and really expensive.
If this crack is old this leak would indicate a change in the water system around the house that should be fixed or if the crack is new, it may continue and giveing the water a path to drainage is the way to go.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:59 PM  
Frank0

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
Be sure to check for any underground utility service before you start to dig Frank.
Thanks for reminding me.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:02 PM  
Frank0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Has anyone done the injection repair from the inside with epoxy?

I have seen it done on TV and read about it I would think I would try that before I dig. The OP’s cracked wall looks text book for this system of repair. They set a number of ports into the crack about a foot apart and then cover the crack on the inside with epoxy then inject epoxy into the lowest port until it comes out the one above and proceed up the wall. On a poured wall it seems like it could work ok.

Like I said I have never done it so maybe the pros have and found it doesn’t work.
Asked a place about it today, they wanted $130 for the epoxy, but I could find no consensus on whether the stuff actually works good, plus now Neal chimes in it did not work for his friend.

Just found this stuff which gets good reviews and for the price may be worth trying. If I use it I will still seal the outside and also look at the drainage system. I want this over and done with

cs-cxzc-xz.jpg  

Last edited by Frank0; 02-17-2014 at 09:11 PM.

Quick Reply